with everyone getting widescreen flat panel televisions it is time for.......
Jul 9, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 11
I don't believe the 10hz number for one second. The thing is nowhere
near big enough and the drivers are not strong enough for 10hz at
any kind of decent earth shaking levels.

Think a pair of tumult drivers in a box about twice that big.
And about 1kw of amp to go with.

Jul 9, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #3 of 11
I like my Velodyne HGS-10 just fine.

Since I have a DLP rear projection TV, it's not affected by strong magnetic fields. Heheh, the whole side of my old 27" TV would turn purple if I put that sub any closer than 3 feet away.

I saw a custom cabinet and picture frame thing at Best Buy that has subwoofers built into the cabinet and small drivers hidden in the picture frames.

It looked pretty gaudy to me, but was an interesting concept.

I prefer being able to place my sub anywhere I want. And since it's an 11" cube, it's very easy to hide.

-Ed

Jul 9, 2004 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

I don't believe the 10hz number for one second. The thing is nowhere

i remember right after fried introduced the "coffin" a split version came out using two smaller cabinets but touting the same specs . I do like the idea of subwoofer as furniture though . since i downsized my digs i can no longer fit my refridgerator sized sub in my house .

Jul 9, 2004 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
Is that like a super-transmission line? Anyway...If you get a big enough sub, you can use it as a coffee table if you hide the cables.

If you build Dr. Gilmore's recommended version, you will have a difficult time keeping things on top of it.
tongue.gif

-Ed

Jul 9, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #7 of 11
I have a hard time keeping stuff on shelves in my house, and that's just with a cheap 10" AR sub.

Jul 9, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Is that like a super-transmission line? Anyway...If you get a big enough sub, you can use it as a coffee table if you hide the cables.

Not "super' transmission line but yes it is a transmission line .

What they offer is a nice smooth load to a power amp and the bass delineates gradually in a very smooth manner,not the bass/no bass way a ported or horn loaded system cuts off and in the case of ported ,usually accompanied with a "hump' right before cutoff.

Bandpass are the worst at this and if you think about the word "bandpass" you can pretty much visualise how the response curve looks with a big hump in the middle and a rapid drop on both sides of the peak .

Sealed units are also pretty much smoothies if designed correctly and it looks like i may have to look in that direction for my new sub because as i stated my old one will no longer fit (approx 5'tall X 3'wide X 2' deep ,ported ,JBL 15",B4 assisted from the JBL article a year later) built from 1976 Audio Magazine Plans

But frequency response extension is not always a good thing and some listening environmants are impossible to get a subwoofer to sound good in-such as a small cube shaped room.

the room shape will be a breeding ground for standing waves and the room size limitations will mean you will never get the sub to actually go as low as it specs unless you use electronic assistance.

Just like the enclosure size/bass extension formula there is also only so deep a sub will go in a given room due to the room response.

the option is to EQ the hell out of it and then hit it with gobs of power but in the end you would be better off just using a good full range speaker system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back