With AVG gone, what "free virus vaccine" are you using?
Mar 4, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #46 of 66
Wow. I've never seen so much inaccurate information in a thread on a board in my life.

1. AMD has no bearing on you getting a virus in XP. A virus is a piece of software that infects the OS (xp, me, 98), not the hardware.

2. AVG 7.5 is still free. And it DOES have a scheduler and real time protection.

This is what is on their website

What you get with AVG Anti-Virus Free
yesEasy to use
yesRegular and automatic virus database updates
yesRealtime protection of files and e-mails
yesScheduled and manual testing
yesWindows and Linux
yesAnd most of all ... great customer satisfaction!

http://free.grisoft.com

Mar 4, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #47 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by awu_gigabyte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. I've never seen so much inaccurate information in a thread on a board in my life.

Welcome to head-fi. :)

Your post only makes it worse BTW.

Mar 5, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #49 of 66
From your perspective, your point of view may be accurate and correct.

From my perspective, you're a fanboy who knows little about viruses. I have no illusions about my perspective though: it's not accurate or correct. I still like to think I've got some of the right ideas of course.

Mar 5, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #51 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually Intel also has the buffer-overflow protection built into their chips, and I don't see AV sales falling
smily_headphones1.gif

Thats because people are idiots. If you have that sort of protection (even though its not par to an actual AV software), you rarely get viruses. The only way you would get a virus is the really dangerous ones that everybody knows about but you are so stupid you get it anyways. You never catch the common viruses... at least I never do because I am alot smarter than the average web browser (or dont have children who surf **** and end up getting 1000 viruses). Seriously its not hard NOT to get a virus, Ive only had 1 virus on my computer EVER, and AVG took care of it easily. That was about 2 years ago, when I couldnt get HL2 to install so I downloaded a crack, that was a mistake. But since then Ive never had a virus (or at least none that has done anything like turn off my pc or whatnot).

Mar 5, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #52 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by awu_gigabyte /img/forum/go_quote.gif

1. AMD has no bearing on you getting a virus in XP. A virus is a piece of software that infects the OS (xp, me, 98), not the hardware.

2. AVG 7.5 is still free. And it DOES have a scheduler and real time protection.

This is what is on their website

What you get with AVG Anti-Virus Free
yesEasy to use
yesRegular and automatic virus database updates
yesRealtime protection of files and e-mails
yesScheduled and manual testing
yesWindows and Linux
yesAnd most of all ... great customer satisfaction!

http://free.grisoft.com

BTW you are wrong. AMD cpus have built in hardware virus protection. Its not the best, but it still helps. So get your facts straight before you start throwing out these statements.

And proof is that I know of friends who have gotten viruses that destroyed their motherboards (certain chips on the motherboard had a voltage spike which fried them, all because the virus made the voltage spike happen). So yeah, viruses can affect hardware directly.

Mar 5, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #53 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pm@c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats because people are idiots. If you have that sort of protection (even though its not par to an actual AV software), you rarely get viruses. The only way you would get a virus is the really dangerous ones that everybody knows about but you are so stupid you get it anyways. You never catch the common viruses... at least I never do because I am alot smarter than the average web browser (or dont have children who surf **** and end up getting 1000 viruses). Seriously its not hard NOT to get a virus, Ive only had 1 virus on my computer EVER, and AVG took care of it easily. That was about 2 years ago, when I couldnt get HL2 to install so I downloaded a crack, that was a mistake. But since then Ive never had a virus (or at least none that has done anything like turn off my pc or whatnot).

If you knew anything about software internals you'd know that buffer overflows have basically nothing to do with viruses. And most viruses are installed by the user anyway, in which case the CPU can do absolutely nothing to protect you since there's nothing about a virus that's different than normal code for the CPU to detect.

Basically, the best virus protection is not to run executables from untrusted sources. Put your machine behind NAT so that crappy Windows bugs won't make you susceptible to network attacks (where your NX bit might actually help you out) and you'll pretty much be fine. Of course I'd never recommend that to anyone who's not a fairly hardcore techie, most users have no idea what's 'trustable' on the internet.

Viruses damaging hardware these days? Unlikely. The days of viruses causing real physical or even information damage are long past. These days it's all about creating zombies that can be used for DoS attacks, stealing naked photos of daughters (or corporate espionage) and the like. Stuff they can make money off. Virus writers aren't stupid, they're not going to destroy a machine if they can get something out of it instead. There are so many potential ways a virus could cause serious damage to our economy that it scares me. Luckily, all the major viruses lately have been of the 'annoyance' variety and not the 'has been silently modifying your critical data for the past 10 years' variety.

I scan my machine once every few months, don't run resident protection and don't use a software firewall. I haven't had a problem in years.

Mar 5, 2007 at 8:34 AM Post #54 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you knew anything about software internals you'd know that buffer overflows have basically nothing to do with viruses. And most viruses are installed by the user anyway, in which case the CPU can do absolutely nothing to protect you since there's nothing about a virus that's different than normal code for the CPU to detect.

Basically, the best virus protection is not to run executables from untrusted sources. Put your machine behind NAT so that crappy Windows bugs won't make you susceptible to network attacks (where your NX bit might actually help you out) and you'll pretty much be fine. Of course I'd never recommend that to anyone who's not a fairly hardcore techie, most users have no idea what's 'trustable' on the internet.

Viruses damaging hardware these days? Unlikely. The days of viruses causing real physical or even information damage are long past. These days it's all about creating zombies that can be used for DoS attacks, stealing naked photos of daughters (or corporate espionage) and the like. Stuff they can make money off. Virus writers aren't stupid, they're not going to destroy a machine if they can get something out of it instead. There are so many potential ways a virus could cause serious damage to our economy that it scares me. Luckily, all the major viruses lately have been of the 'annoyance' variety and not the 'has been silently modifying your critical data for the past 10 years' variety.

I scan my machine once every few months, don't run resident protection and don't use a software firewall. I haven't had a problem in years.

Quoted for emphasis.

Saying that AMD processors have built in virus protection is utter nonsense. Thats like saying that the G line of processors has virus protection because it can't run x86 code!

If you want to hide behind an AMD, put a computer on the internet unprotected and see how quickly your "hardware virus protection" gets you.

I have a computer that has hard ware virus protection, it has no hard drive!

Mar 5, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #55 of 66
Another vote for AVG 7.5

I dont know why people keep posting that its no longer any good. Are they just Symantec/Mcafee goonies posting crap like this to get a few extra sales and cause confusion? Ive seen this exact same type of post in many different forums.

It updates.. it scans.. it watches for virus's. As for firewalls, thats what my router is for.. plus the windows built in firewall are good enough for me.

Mar 5, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #57 of 66
I use Nod32. Actually, I picked it for its unbelievably low system footprint, but what's all this talk about it being not free? I'm on their "free trial" and I have 16715488 says left. I always just assumed on that it was free. I still get kernel updates and what have you, and it's fully functional. @_@

Mar 5, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #58 of 66
I use Antivir as I've always found AVG to be sort of buggy. I like the sound of this NOD32 though, will have to look into it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #59 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use Antivir as I've always found AVG to be sort of buggy.

really? I've not had any (noticable) issues.
Anything I should watch for?

Mar 5, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #60 of 66
Well, at one point it would no longer instal on my computer... so I stopped using it.
smily_headphones1.gif

When I rebuilt my computer I heard that they were going to be moving out of the free AV business and switched to Antivir at that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back