With all the headphones
May 9, 2006 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Leoml88

Head-Fier
well i get that its a headphone page, but how come noone ever talks about speakers here? i mean i don't get the point of listening to headphones at home other than when other people are sleeping. theres like a whole other world of speakers.

i was recently at my cousins house, whos got some crazy custom made speakers, like this type http://www.audiomn.org/Pages/Gallery.../CES01K_15.jpg

and hes got like 5 all tube amps hooked up to them, and a really nice turntable. I'd have to say that was my first true real eargasm, and if i had all the money in the world for a sound system, i'd rather do that for home listening then getting really good headphones and amp. (one recording of the london symphony, i think it was, u could actually subtley here the subway passing through underground!!)

anyways, i'm not putting anyone down or anything, i'm just saying, theres a whole world of speakers out there, and i was just wondering if anyone here was into that stuff too.

May 9, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 10
This should really be in the speakers section.

However many people prefer the speakers over headphones because they don't like being "isolated" by cans. They want to be free to roam with nothing on their head. Of course that's just one reason. They can also spend more on a speaker set-up.
tongue.gif

May 9, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #4 of 10
Uh, look at the Head-Fi logo at the top of the page. See the picture of the headphones? That should indicate the principal focus of this website. I'm quite sure you can find a place on the web whose main focus is speakers.

May 9, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #5 of 10
I for one feel my headphone set up is better than any hi-end system I've heard. I had about $7000. in my home system and sold it when I got my HD650's, headphone amp and (D2A(kept from home system).
Tonally it's many times better. It does not image like the home system but I was never big on the image thing when it came at a price of harsh top end.

Think of it as smoking and shooting. Smoking will get you high but shooting up is a whole different level. So 4 me, speakers are like smoking but Headphones are the ultimate shootUp!

May 9, 2006 at 9:44 AM Post #7 of 10
For me it's all about price/performance ratio.

All my music comes from my PC (small room - have to maximise what can do what so the PC handles most of everything) I've got a 7.1 sound card for games/movies with a 7.1 speaker system, now setting that up properly for acoustics and speaker postioning for optimal listening experience is tricky. Then you've got to make sure you stay in the right position to hear it all. Sure, when I'm home alone and actually moving around the room a lot (tidying etc) then this is the way I want to listen as it gets the music all around me (I actually have the 6 speakers dotted around the room all playing stereo - 3 left channel & 3 right channel ... means that I get pretty decent sound no matter where I am)

However... for ease of great audio position & better overall sound nothing beats the headphones - I mean all I do is put them on my head and I've already got the best audio position (in terms of placement of speakers/drivers and my ears) - I can move about a fair bit (if needed) and the placement is still perfect. No need to worry about the room shape, wall material or anything like that. Wonderful.

Plus, living with parents, means that volume coming from the speakers has to be atuned to them (volume they don't mind so much as I like my volume lower then most people I know but bass can't be too high as they get really annoyed... try any music without any bass at all and see what it does!) but the headphones can be tuned to how I really like it - the bass can come through (admittedly never as good as a full on sub but it aint far off) and I drink it all in.

All in all... better sound, easier to achieve ideal listening position - headphones win.

May 10, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #8 of 10
It escapes me why one who has the means DOESN'T choose speakers over headphones. They offer an infinitely more realistic audio presentation. Headphones may provide a semi-circle image with a tiny radius, but speakers provide a fully-bodied 3-dimensional experience.

It's quite beyond me. I've heard a lot of both, and I've discovered that headphones are for those on a budget (price admitedly is lower to get started on), those who can't play music loudly, and audio engineers. Speakers are for those who truly want to 'experience' their music. And I'm not talking cheap PC speakers either - I'm talking REAL ones - like the Sennheisers of the speaker market. There are people with >8000 dollar headphone setups, without one stereo speaker rig in sight. That kind of bothers me, since it shows me exactly what that individual is missing.

May 10, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
It escapes me why one who has the means DOESN'T choose speakers over headphones. They offer an infinitely more realistic audio presentation. Headphones may provide a semi-circle image with a tiny radius, but speakers provide a fully-bodied 3-dimensional experience.

It's quite beyond me. I've heard a lot of both, and I've discovered that headphones are for those on a budget (price admitedly is lower to get started on), those who can't play music loudly, and audio engineers. Speakers are for those who truly want to 'experience' their music. And I'm not talking cheap PC speakers either - I'm talking REAL ones - like the Sennheisers of the speaker market. There are people with >8000 dollar headphone setups, without one stereo speaker rig in sight. That kind of bothers me, since it shows me exactly what that individual is missing.

I'm actually coming from speakers so I may give you an answer to this from my personal point of view. Speakers are great, no doubt about it. When I first switched from a creative 5.1 to more or less properly amped and sourced B&W 705s I was totally blown away.

Now, there are various factors why I choose headphones over speakers, the first one being pretty obvious: portability. I can drive to my study location and don't have to worry about missing out on great sound by just taking my whole rig with me.
Secondly I can get a much more detailed presentation from cans, as from my speakers. I love details as much as I love instrument seperation, which are more easily found in the 'phones than the B&W. Also you'd have to pay quite a lot to reach the level of various headphone rigs with speakers. Much better price/performance ratio.
Then I love the intimate feeling that I get from listening to music. I guess it all comes down to personal preference in the end, and I can sacrifice some of the great speakersoundstaging for the performance I get from my K701 for instance.

EDIT: As of now I can only listen to my vinyl records through my speakers at home, so that's another advantage that they currently have, but I intend to change this by getting me a phono stage. I won't be carrying the TT around though.
tongue.gif

May 10, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #10 of 10
You don't dig headphones - at all. That's cool. Probably not too many like me, but I've heard some very nice speakers in the $1600 - $4.5K per pair range, with electronics to match, and I still really dig my headphone setup. The headstage thing doesn't bother me. Sometimes I actually look forward to the intimacy headphones offer. The tactile vibrations of speakers - honestly I could take it or leave it. Having a true soundstage is nice, but it's not at the top of my priority list - tonality, prt, speed, smoothness are. Hifi headphones can compete with the best speakers in those areas until you get past the 3K mark, IME (with $$$$ of electronics to back it).

I also think sometimes people who hate headphones haven't heard a truly good setup (what IS the best rig you've heard?). It takes a lot of work to build a headphone rig that's emotional and enjoyable for all genres. I suppose you could turn the tables and say the same about me and speakers. Actually I have heard an awesome 2ch setup based around Legacy Signature III's that's admittedly beyond what headphones are capable of, but I can't quite afford it
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back