With ~$3k would you go TOTL DAP or C9+$1k DAP?
Jan 3, 2023 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Loftprojection

500+ Head-Fier
I really like the tube amp and NOS DAC sound signature from my desktop kit, sweet, lush, musical, non fatiguing, great experience on well recorded jazz as well as not as well recorded progressive rock which I listen to a lot.

Currently own Sony 1A-M2 and ZX507, like both a lot specially with jazz but would really like to bring my experience closer to my desktop kit, specially with progressive rock.

I’m torn between getting a TOTL like the new HiBy RS6 or Cayin N8ii versus getting a tube amp Cayin C9 to complement my Sony‘s or another ~$1k DAP like RS6…

Any opinion from people with experience on these devices will be welcome, thanks a lot.

Jan 3, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #2 of 4
Personally, I vote for the Cayin C9 with 1AM2, remember to connect the ground in 3.5mm of the walkman when using an external amp. Currently, I use 1AM2 with 3 external amplifiers: Xduoo MT-604, iFi Zen Can Signature, Oriolus BA300s, and very happy with these combinations in pairing to MDR-Z1R.

Jan 4, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #3 of 4
Personally, I vote for the Cayin C9 with 1AM2, remember to connect the ground in 3.5mm of the walkman when using an external amp. Currently, I use 1AM2 with 3 external amplifiers: Xduoo MT-604, iFi Zen Can Signature, Oriolus BA300s, and very happy with these combinations in pairing to MDR-Z1R.
What do these external amps bring to you versus the 1AM2 alone? Particularly the Oriolus because the other two are desktop amps? Which one do you prefer? I use Beyerdynamic Xelento IEM with my portable Sony’s so no need for a lot of power. I’m more looking into bringing the sound signature of the portable rig closer to the sound I get with my desktop kit.

Jan 4, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 4
What do these external amps bring to you versus the 1AM2 alone? Particularly the Oriolus because the other two are desktop amps? Which one do you prefer? I use Beyerdynamic Xelento IEM with my portable Sony’s so no need for a lot of power. I’m more looking into bringing the sound signature of the portable rig closer to the sound I get with my desktop kit.
2 dekstop amps have more power, especially the stability in the current so for full-size headphones, they improve much more (detail, separation, soundstage,...). In the case of the Oriolus, it acts like a pre-amp to get a tubey sound with stability in the current. Currently, I prefer to the pair of 1AM2 with iFi Zen Can Signature.
For your case, I think C9 will affect positively to your chain as we know, the amp section affects the sound signature mostly besides its power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back