witch ipod?
Nov 8, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #16 of 55
Quote:
All the recent iPod models I have tried.....Classic, 4th-gen Touch, and 4th-gen Shuffle.... all sounded the same to me with no EQ enabled and using the headphone-out. The older models with the different chips inside sound a little different, which some people prefer and some do not.

Quote:

That just talks about what I mentioned....some people prefer the older ones, and some don't. This article is usually posted by the Wolfson lovers, because the writer of the article prefers the Wolfson sound. But the fact remains, it is a matter of opinion....and there are many who prefer the Cirrus sound too. I am definitely in the Cirrus camp.

Nov 8, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #18 of 55
Quote:
When the sounding from my rockboxed ipod 5g initially caught me by surprise, I was googling for answers.  I ended up reading that article and discovered the overrated wolfdaughter. :wink:

Nov 8, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #19 of 55
If you have the money and the patience, I would recommend buying a used iPod classic either 6th, 6.5, or 7th generation and replacing the hard drive with an ssd. So much better.

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #20 of 55
The HDD's are actually pretty reliable from my experience. Non of the HDD's has actually failed on me including the stock HDD in the ipod I bought in 2006. I dropped them a few times on carpeted floor or asphalt ground but nothing happened. But I always put a soft case on the ipod.

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #21 of 55
i still like my iPod Video(iPod Classic 5.5 gen 30gb)

in more of a aesthetic, and sound reason.
one website does state that the best sounding is the iPod Classic 5.5gen

the second best is the iPod Gen 4, or the revised ones which are the ipod Photo, and the iPod Color.

reason behind it is the Wolfson DAC/Audio Chip.

in my opinion, with Grado SR80i's and no amp, it makes for a more warmer, colored, and better in depth sound than the Cirrus Logic Chips/DAC's thats in the 6th gen and above(including the iTouch,iPhone, Nano's over the 1st gen.)

although the Cirrus logic chips are lacking.
i do hear the differences with my iPod Touch 2nd Gen vs iPod Video.
the iTouch i own uses the Cirrus logic chips which IMO
has a more colder, Treblely, and slightly tinniy sound with the Bass to sound more recessed.

Although it is said to have a cleaner sound.

its all by personal choice really between the ipod video and the newest 7th/6th gen iPod classics.

i personally HATE the silver aluminum faceplates.
and i really like the Plastic faceplates, better to feel, and better looking + color

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #22 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyPogiman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

and i really like the Plastic faceplates, better to feel, and better looking + color

Can't agree on this anymore. The Classic looks ugly and boring :)

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #23 of 55
Quote:
The HDD's are actually pretty reliable from my experience. Non of the HDD's has actually failed on me including the stock HDD in the ipod I bought in 2006. I dropped them a few times on carpeted floor or asphalt ground but nothing happened. But I always put a soft case on the ipod.

i agree, sure HDD's are said to be fragile but iPod HDD's which are really small are comparable to the durability of a Laptop.

they can take a beating although, they will eventually break but only in a LONG time or if your just those people who didnt take care of it in the first place.

rest assured, SSD is still better. but more costly....

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #24 of 55
Quote:

Can't agree on this anymore. The Classic looks ugly and boring :)

haha yea! bring back the Original White Apple color!

im tired of the whole "Silver" future.

besides, if they really do think of reviving the iPod Classic line again by creating a new one. It should definitely have a SSD inside instead of HDD's

but they should have called the older ones "iPod Original"

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #25 of 55
Quote:
i agree, sure HDD's are said to be fragile but iPod HDD's which are really small are comparable to the durability of a Laptop.

they can take a beating although, they will eventually break but only in a LONG time or if your just those people who didnt take care of it in the first place.

rest assured, SSD is still better. but more costly....

Currently a 120Gb ssd runs about $200 - more than 3 times you pay for a 120GB hdd. But I would say the greatest benefit of having ssd is to avoid loss of music files from failed hdd's (if not backed up).

Quote:
haha yea! bring back the Original White Apple color!

im tired of the whole "Silver" future.

besides, if they really do think of reviving the iPod Classic line again by creating a new one. It should definitely have a SSD inside instead of HDD's

but they should have called the older ones "iPod Original"

Yes brand new iPod 5.5.5g 480GB ssd with original sexy white color!

Nov 9, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #27 of 55
Quote:
Don't have to call iPods witches just cause you don't like apple..

Man!!! I was wondering how long that would take....
Had to be said.
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #28 of 55
Quote:
Don't have to call iPods witches just cause you don't like apple..

Quote:
Man!!! I was wondering how long that would take....
Had to be said.
biggrin.gif

I was trying to let it go....I've been accused in the past of being one of the

and also one of the

so I have been trying to be more tolerant of my fellow Internet citizens.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back