witch house
Mar 15, 2011 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

julialadense

New Head-Fier
some may already be familiar with the genre - intersted in thoughts on this.

I have a friend that recently released a tape/dvd 

www.ihadanaccidentrecords.com/releases/ih051.html

I think this gives a good example of the sound.  Other known artists are SALEM and some weird ****en characters joined together - instead of having actual names.  The oddly obscure crap is really bizarre to me, along with the ever present triangle.

Maybe we can discuss how this all came about or people's thoughts.  Sometimes it just sounds like slowed down pop songs.

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #2 of 6
Sounds like LoFi electronica with a bit of industrial ambient texturing. 

based on that album...

1. Take sample or play vinyl, pitch down.
2. Process sample with distortion. Probably use an guitar fx, cheaper the better.
3. re-record sample with microphone preferably through overdriven speaker.
4. repeat with other sounds to build up tracks.

It's a bit like listening to Boards Of Canada being played on a cheap hifi really loud in the flat next door.

Mar 17, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #3 of 6
Damn I love witch house.
Only discovered it about a few months ago.

Only peeps I know doing witch house are Salem, OooOo (apparently pronounced "Oh") and White Ring
and now Worthless Waste (thanks julialadense)

I find witch house to be extremely moving and powerful and sometimes relaxing and just chill out. Makes me space and think a lot.
I also find it to be quite "scary" and just "out there" at times and maybe slightly disturbing (like IxC999 by White Ring) ... which I like.

*listening to Worthless Waste's album right now... so far it aint bad... i dont particularly like the "every" track though, I feel like the bass he/she's using throughout the album could use a little more "thump" and control, as in it feels like there's too much distortion being used. Just my opinion*

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks MrQ for the article.

It was very interesting to read, definitely gave me a better insight into the which house genre for me.

I love this quote by Disaro,

“independent music by mind****ed artists all working together to bring music back to where it should be. Right now musicians are so controlled by labels with what they should do and what they can’t do… All this high gloss crap on TV and radio (even college radio) that’s the new now next, that crap isn’t indie to me. Art and music need to stay together and it hasn’t been like that.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back