Wishlist for a no compromise DAP: what would you like to see?
Feb 9, 2007 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Podtweaker

100+ Head-Fier
There has to be others besides myself who would like to see a DAP capable of playing non-compressed digital ! I would gladly sacrifice some miniturization for a player with less high quality storage/playback compromises. Does no one else think that having to compress their music for the sake of space is a giant step backwards . There has to be some talented engineers out there with some ideas ! We need to design a high minded player from the ground level . Sorry for the rant, but I just can't see the wisdom of not asking about what is possible.

Feb 9, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #2 of 26
Yeah that would be nice.
My wants:
Coax digital output or toslink optical output
Dr. Xin super-micro 1V built in
Field replaceable batteries, AA or the likes
AM radio for Giants baseball, 49er football and GS warriors hoops

It would probably cost $600 to make and no one would buy them.. You would have to wait ~4 months for the amp circuit to be built.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Feb 9, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah that would be nice.
My wants:
Coax digital output or toslink optical output
Dr. Xin super-micro 1V built in
Field replaceable batteries, AA or the likes
AM radio for Giants baseball, 49er football and GS warriors hoops

It would probably cost $600 to make and no one would buy them.. You would have to wait ~4 months for the amp circuit to be built.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

x2

Feb 9, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #6 of 26
ooh. ooh. i'll chime in!

high capacity flash player (30+ gb)
supports FLAC natively
supports gapless playback natively
cowon quality headphone out
dedicated line out
25+ hours of battery life on a charge

don't care much about the screen. i have absolutely no interest in watching video or viewing pics on a tiny lcd. also don't care about DSP or EQ since i always keep my EQ flat with no DSP.

the thing is, the above list is very doable. okay, i can live without the dedicated line out but gapless playback is very high on my priority list and THAT will be my biggest limiting factor. my trekstor vibez would be very near perfection if it was flash based even though it is only 12gb.

if cowon created a player that meets the above specs - i'll spend $250 easy for it.

Feb 9, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #7 of 26
All kidding aside(at least for now),so what you are saying is audiophiles would have no interest in the "Apod" if they knew one existed ? I hadn't thought of it that way. Maybe you're right if it were made by Apple , but I was thinking more along the lines of it of a serious audio designer making the player . I'm not talking about a mass produced item made by a computer company(Unless they were to bring in real high end audio designer for the project). All I know is that being an "audiophile" I would get a big kick out of not having to do so much leg work to have superior sounding music with me, anytime, anywhere. Did Yoda ever teach Luke to accept mediocrity? I don't think so. I had a busy work day & I'm getting a little goofy so I'll call it a night. Please more dialog & suggestions. Later.

Feb 9, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #8 of 26
Well I sure would buy...

Similar wish lists-

large capacity flash (after my 4G HDD died in the arse). The more, the better.
Dedicated lineout (preferably both analog and digital)
Minimal other crap (no video, games etc)
FLAC+ALAC+AAC+OGG etc support
Reasonable headphone out for those times you can't carry the whole rig

That should do it. Any engineers here to take care of this for us? Head-fi DAP?
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #10 of 26
An iPod flash memory 10 gig or larger, in 4g/photo form factor, but as thin as the nano. with an SRM-001 as well as the regular headphone amp built in. Everlasting battery. minijack line out built in next to dock.

Feb 9, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An iPod flash memory 10 gig or larger, in 4g/photo form factor, but as thin as the nano. with an SRM-001 as well as the regular headphone amp built in. Everlasting battery. minijack line out built in next to dock.

I like this post- from reasonable to insane and back again!
icon10.gif

Feb 9, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #12 of 26
I'd like to see an Ipod and Ipod Nano with
- wireless ability
- optical out (maybe Apple's combi-jack they use on the Macbooks)
- high quality parametric EQ
- longer battery life

Feb 9, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #13 of 26
-60 GB HDD
-Parametric EQ and preferably the same sound quality of the Rio Karma
-optical in/out
-analog line in/out
-same recording enhancements found in rockbox/iriver H100 series
-20 hrs battery life
-Playback flac, shn, ogg, mp3, wav, wavpack
-24/96 recording capabilities.
very_evil_smiley.gif

-usb/firewire connectivity
-2" color lcd

I think that's it
cool.gif

Feb 9, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-60 GB HDD
-Parametric EQ and preferably the same sound quality of the Rio Karma
-optical in/out
-analog line in/out
-same recording enhancements found in rockbox/iriver H100 series
-20 hrs battery life
-Playback flac, shn, ogg, mp3, wav, wavpack
-24/96 recording capabilities.
very_evil_smiley.gif

-usb/firewire connectivity
-2" color lcd

I think that's it
cool.gif

I'm down with all of this... except I am a space junkie. I want 200+ gb of storage. With 200gb 2.5 hdds out now and the 120gb 1.8's on the way as well at 80gb flash drives coming very soon. I think the storage end is very doable. And we've seen most all the other things mentions available in various other DAPS.

Feb 9, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #15 of 26
I'd be perfectly happy with Rockbox being well implemented (as far as battery life is concerned) on an 80 gig iPod. Good controls, slim design, file tree and tag-based browsing, support for plenty of codecs, good line-out and headphone-out, plenty of storage, great EQ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back