Wish You Were Here
Sep 20, 2001 at 7:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Pierre Lambion

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

this is my first post on this board but I've been reading it for several weeks.

First of all I would like to congratulate you for this excellent community and especially thank those who recommended Michael Hedges in the "Amazing Guitar" thread. I did not know him and it has been a wonderful discovery.

I now have a question for all the Pink Floyd fans: I have an old recording (on tape!) of Wish You Were Here. As it is so far my favourite Pink Floyd album, I want to buy the CD.

It seems there are three versions of it (on Amazon anyway):
  1. Remastered
  2. 25th anniversary
  3. 2001 edition (not available yet)

A review mentions that the 25th anniversary would have a better sound, closer to the original 33LP.

Do you have any advice/opinion? Or a general rule to pick the best sounding version? Should I wait for the 2001 edition?

I am not that much of an audiophile anyway and I will be listening to it on a portable MD. But why not pick the best source anyway?

Thanks in advance,

Pierre

Sep 20, 2001 at 7:46 AM Post #2 of 10
Sorry,

I just noticed the Animals 2001 thread stating that this album is not a remaster but a tribute. So I think that WHWH 2001 will be a tribute as well.

It leaves me to choose between the remaster and the 25th anniversary version. Any advice?

P.

Sep 20, 2001 at 7:48 AM Post #3 of 10
Pierre,

Though I can't answer the question you asked, I did want to welcome you to Head-Fi. I hope you stick around, hang out with the us.

And I'm also glad you like Michael Hedges. He had such a remarkable talent.

Again, welcome to Head-Fi!

-- Jude --

Sep 20, 2001 at 12:18 PM Post #4 of 10
Pierre
The current version of "wish" for sale now on capital/emi label
was remastered 4/2000 by Doug Sax, he is one of the best
out there. He has also remastered several other Floyd albums,
there are many versions of "wish" and "dsom" floating around on used market, including japanese versions, gold discs, MFSL,
25th anniversary etc but I would not hesitate to buy current version.

Sep 25, 2001 at 1:31 AM Post #7 of 10
No. We're talking about good music in this thread.
tongue.gif

Sep 25, 2001 at 2:05 AM Post #8 of 10
lol......well, incubus is OK....much better than other stuff in its genre......just not my thing......

DanG:
redface.gif

Sep 26, 2001 at 2:34 AM Post #9 of 10
I forgot that y'all audiophiles are suppose to like classical, jazz and those 60s' daddyish stuff. But there's something I really wanna know coolvij and DanG; aren't you guys three years younger then me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back