Wish You Were Here remaster sound quality - Update
Apr 21, 2012 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

musiclover666

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am curious to know if any of you have experienced clipping on the newest remaster of WYWH (Guthrie/Plante). I noticed it while listening to my ipod, especially on the song Wish You Were Here. I tried listening to it straight off of my laptop cd player through my Fiio E10, and it sounds the same. This puzzles me as WYWH is supposed to be a wonderfully recorded album. Could it be my laptop? I have noticed it on a few other albums, but not on others? I don't have a reference 2 channel system to check the cd to see if it is infact the recording or my system. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Cheers,
Dan

So I am still pulling out what is left of my hair to try and figure out what is up with this album, particularly the song WYWH. The acoustic guitar really seems to distort/clip after the intro and when David starts singing. I have checked all my settings in itunes and Quick Time, I have listened to the rip I made, the cd directly off my computer drive, my old portable cdp and my wife's bookshelf stereo with all the same results. I hear the distortion/clipping in the same spot on every source. Can anyone else report back their findings so I may put this to rest and quit obsessing over this.

Thanks,
Dan

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #2 of 8
I hear a little bit of clipping in the beginning, idk if it's tape noise that couldn't filter out, or if its residual from the channel-surfing tv clicker section at the start of the track. It doesn't seem to affect the quality of the guitar for me though, just raises the noise floor

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 8
I am at a loss with this one. I am starting to notice that most of the albums I have ripped using itunes have some sort of clipping/distortion on them now. I have also tried using EAC and the same thing persists. I think there must be a problem with my computer somewhere, whether is is the drive itself inducing this distortion and passing it along or my sound card. Anyway, I am quite frustrated at this point as it has taken away from the enjoyment of listening to my music. I hope I can rectify this situation somehow soon!

Unhappy Headfier

May 2, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
I am at a loss with this one. I am starting to notice that most of the albums I have ripped using itunes have some sort of clipping/distortion on them now. I have also tried using EAC and the same thing persists. I think there must be a problem with my computer somewhere, whether is is the drive itself inducing this distortion and passing it along or my sound card. Anyway, I am quite frustrated at this point as it has taken away from the enjoyment of listening to my music. I hope I can rectify this situation somehow soon!

Unhappy Headfier

I don't use iTunes, but I have noticed making .mp3 rips of certain albums induces a lot of clipping/distortion. (I ripped Alison Kraus/Robert Plant "Raising Sand", and it was unlistenable.) I was able to fix it using a freeware program called MP3 Gain. You can set the level to equalize to, and it will fix the clipping. I use it on all my mp3 rips, usually equalized to 91 dB. Makes a huge difference. I think albums that are mastered too loud have this problem.

FWIW, I only notice this on .mp3. I've been doing all lossless .flac lately, and have not noticed any distortion issues.

May 2, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
I don't use iTunes, but I have noticed making .mp3 rips of certain albums induces a lot of clipping/distortion. (I ripped Alison Kraus/Robert Plant "Raising Sand", and it was unlistenable.) I was able to fix it using a freeware program called MP3 Gain. You can set the level to equalize to, and it will fix the clipping. I use it on all my mp3 rips, usually equalized to 91 dB. Makes a huge difference. I think albums that are mastered too loud have this problem.

FWIW, I only notice this on .mp3. I've been doing all lossless .flac lately, and have not noticed any distortion issues.

Ya, i rip all my albums to wav in itunes and I don't know why I am experiencing this clipping, even on albums that are known to be well mastered. I noticed the same thing with the Raising Sand album, very hot mastering, not unlistenable, but not great that's for sure. It sure is a shame when great albums are mastered or remastered with so little dynamic range. What a waste.

May 2, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Ya, i rip all my albums to wav in itunes and I don't know why I am experiencing this clipping, even on albums that are known to be well mastered. I noticed the same thing with the Raising Sand album, very hot mastering, not unlistenable, but not great that's for sure. It sure is a shame when great albums are mastered or remastered with so little dynamic range. What a waste.

Give MP3 Gain a try, I found it to make a huge difference. I ran into distortion problems on Alison Kraus + Union Station, "New Favorite", on Alison's vocals. MP3 Gain cleaned it right up.

May 2, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Give MP3 Gain a try, I found it to make a huge difference. I ran into distortion problems on Alison Kraus + Union Station, "New Favorite", on Alison's vocals. MP3 Gain cleaned it right up.

Cool thanks, i might give it a try. Does it work with WAV or FLAC files? None of my music is lossy format.

May 3, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Cool thanks, i might give it a try. Does it work with WAV or FLAC files? None of my music is lossy format.

I don't think it works with other formats. (I checked the web site. MP3 Gain only works with .mp3 files) You didn't specifically mention what format you were ripping in, I kind of assumed it was .mp3 because you were using iTunes.

That being said, I've never noticed distortion or clipping when ripping to .flac, only to .mp3. I use EAC for ripping my CDs to .flac files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back