Wisest way to upgrade?
Dec 5, 2010 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ngower

100+ Head-Fier
My current system is in my signature. I posted in the speakers forum about potentially upgrading speakers and it seems it's better to upgrade everything else first. These are the planned upgrades:

Pro-ject Debut III
Ortofon 2M Red
Pro-ject Acryl It platter

Pro-ject Phono Box MKII or Belari VP130

That's the order in which I intend to upgrade with the first two components bought simultaneously, the latter two sometime when I receive my tax return.

Is there a wiser way to spend the $800 this will cost?

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 6
I somewhat agree but It's a two way street IMO. It is often recommended to find a speaker that you like and go from there. At least with quality speakers, you will get the most out of the source you have.

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 6
I built my system around my speakers. So I bought the best speakers I could afford then the amp/preamp that drives them well and last is the source/sources. Upgrade wise, its the other way around, source first then amp and speakers last.

Feb 14, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 6
Hey guys, me again. My NAD amp is taking quite some time to return, by the time I get it back the semester will nearly be over. I have been considering purchasing the Rega Brio 3 and selling my amp when it gets back, as well as the modest preamp I have now. I have been considering purchasing a Cambridge Audio 640P and I figured going with the Brio 3 would be a great way to get my audio back while still upgrading the phono stage.

I'm just curious if you guys think this is a smart move? Also, will I run into any complications using the Rega with my PSB's? I know the synergy of my NAD is probably better, and worse comes to worse I sell the Rega when I get my NAD back assuming I don't like the sound.

Just wanted to run it by you guys and see what you think?

[EDIT] Better yet, what about the Marantz PM5004? Bit cheaper, would more or less break even. Is it a downgrade from the NAD? I just can't go this long without my music, what would you recommend in this budget range of under $700?

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #6 of 6
Went to purchase an NAD C356BEE this morning, had some frustrating issues regarding holds/AVS mismatch, so I'll have to wait for the holds to clear and re-place the order tomorrow. I figure this plus some upgraded PSB's eventually will suffice rather nicely. I love the NAD sound, was hesitant about how the others would perform. I know I don't need to upgrade the amp, but why the hell not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back