Wise Choices??
Oct 31, 2009 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

otistatamyer

New Head-Fier
Hello. Im new to this forum and am glad it exists. Ive been following for a while, now I have a question: Are the shure 530s and the sennheiser 650s the "best" overall in their categories (in ear and full size headphone)?? I am somewhat new to the serious audiophile game, and am planning to buy these two bad boys all together. Just want reassurance I guess...

Oct 31, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #3 of 11
ofcourse they are not the best in their categories but they are one of the best.there is no perfect iem or CAN,there are preferences by each individual,someone may like the se530 sound while others hate it.you can tell us what genres you listen to,your source,your prefered sound signature(do you like bassy phones,bright,clarity.....)and if you want isolation or not,comfort.....all these things.

Oct 31, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ofcourse they are not the best in their categories but they are one of the best.there is no perfect iem or CAN,there are preferences by each individual,someone may like the se530 sound while others hate it.you can tell us what genres you listen to,your source,your prefered sound signature(do you like bassy phones,bright,clarity.....)and if you want isolation or not,comfort.....all these things.

Absolutely. Those two are highly regarded but are they the best? Well, that is personal preference.

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #6 of 11
I think they are excellent choices. Get them, and then put your wallet away would be my advice.

Nov 1, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think they are excellent choices. Get them, and then put your wallet away would be my advice.

Easier said than done.

Nov 1, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree. With the Shure's you have rivals such as the UE Triple.fi's and Westone UM3's. I prefer the Triple.fi's but that doesn't mean they'r ehte best, it's just what i prefer.

The HD650's, you got the AKG 701/702, Grado SR325i Ultrasone Pro 900 and Audio Technica blah, blah, thingy! having never tried any of the others, I went for the HD650 on price, because the other are still selling for in excess of £200-250 (bar 701's), where as i got my HD650's for a lot less than that.

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #9 of 11
the best (most expensive) one doesn't mean the most suitable one for you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #10 of 11
They are both excellent headphones. I'm a huge 650 fan, but you can't just think about the headphones, especially when you're talking about the 650s, but need to address the whole system, and what it will take to bring out the sound quality they're known for having (not a portable amp or source, just for starters). The 530s are very nice iems, which I quite like, but spend some time doing some research around here. There are now quite a few quality iems available as opposed to when the 530s came out a couple years ago.

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #11 of 11
Yup. I think much has been said about this by some of the guys who have most posted already. Though if you want a tad more advice, it would be wiser to state what sort of music you preferred as different phones have different qualities about them.

At the end of the day, as annoying as this sounds, if you do happen to have an audio shop near you, my best advice would be for yourself to go down to the shop and try out some of the gear so you have some experience and know what you are getting. Reading up can only do so much and sometimes, as someone who is new to the whole audio world, some of the terms and advice can go right over your head, like it does mine.

If I had the experience and the money to splurge for different phones and then give you better advice, I would. Unfortunately, I can't. The SE530s tend to favour someone who leans towards the jazz side of things and Sennheiser headphones tend to have a 'darker' signature. I'm basing this on the little that I've read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back