Wiring panel components
Dec 23, 2003 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

superjohnny

500+ Head-Fier
I'm a little confused about how to wire the panel components. That whole poles & throws thing gave me a headache. I just need the switch to turn the power on/off. I'm using the three prong, two position switch from the Tangent tutorial. Anyone care to throw me a bone on this one?

ohhhhh, multi-meter. Black plug goes on the left one... Red plug goes on the middle one. Flipping switch makes multi-meter read 0 or 1. This is good, now why the heck is there a third plug?

Dec 23, 2003 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 16
You have a SPDT (single pull, double throw) switch. Just use the center solder lug, and the bottom lug. That way, when the switch is in the "up" position, the center and bottom contacts are connected.

Dec 23, 2003 at 7:29 AM Post #3 of 16
I had to find that out the hard way...
frown.gif

Dec 31, 2003 at 12:45 AM Post #4 of 16
Ok my CMOY is eating 9v batteries faster than a 10 year old downs a pan of brownies.

2 probable issues:
I have the power switch wired by taking the V+ & V- and going to the switch and from switch to battery. Is that correct? It turns the amp on and off, but I went through a new battery in just a few hours. I think it might bleed it dry when the power is off as well.

I am using the OPA2132PA with a gain of 11 and only one 9v battery. The opamp will run with as little as 6.7v. I figured this out by listening till it started to sound bad, then testing the battery with my multi-meter. I'm thinking of switching to a gain of 6 and the Burr Brown OPA623 opamp. Will this extend my battery life? Am I doomed with only 1 9v battery?

Dec 31, 2003 at 1:11 AM Post #7 of 16
Something's wrong. You should get at least 30-40 hours. Based on your first post, I think your power switch needs to be rewired. You should have six solder lugs at the back of the switch arranged in three pairs. Your battery clip wires (red and black) go to the middle two solder tabs. You then solder your amp power lead (red and black) to the bottom two solder lugs. The top two solder lugs get nothing. This way when the switch is up you will have power to the amp and when the switch is down both positive and negative with be cut off.

Hope this helps

Dec 31, 2003 at 1:25 AM Post #9 of 16
Disregard my last. It looks like you have a single pole double throw switch (3 solder lugs, right). With that switch you need to connect the red wire from your battery clip to the center solder lug and the red lead from your amp to the bottom solder lug. The black wire from your battery clip goes directly to the black wire from your amp.

Dec 31, 2003 at 2:46 AM Post #11 of 16
...and that's the point of the switch - to break the circuit!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back