Wiring Panel Components for CMoy; huh?!
Apr 24, 2005 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

tramahound

New Head-Fier
Ok, I'm on the final straight as far as my CMoy project is concerned and I'm at a loss with the whole panel component wiring. I'm reading Tangent's How-to and it is not helping me much at all. I'm also trying to look at his wiring picture to figure it out, but that's not clear enough either. I know it must be a pretty basic wiring job and all, but how does one figure out what gets wired where? from the looks of his picture most of the posts on the input/output component aren't even used, but I still don't know what to put where. Can somebody point me towards some extra noob specific help for this matter?
Thanks

Apr 24, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 25
OK, From looking at the picture, only the front six pins are used. The 2 on the right go to ground, the 2 in the middle go to the outputs on the board and the 2 on the left go to the input jack. I am not sure if the top is the right or left, but if it is the same as the blue velvet pot then, the top is left and the bottom is right.

Apr 24, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 25
i think you missed the .pdf diagram, which is quite a major bit of information.

LINK

one thing to note is that the left and right "in" is connected to the potentiometer before to the jack (or vice versa) for volume control. you also have to ground the audio jacks and pot.

the switch is in series with the battery.

Apr 24, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 25
If you're ever confused about a jack, try this: plug an interconnect into it, and then use your meter to check for a connection between the jack's pins and the channels and ground on the unplugged end of the IC. Also, remember that as far as the amp is concerned, it's not "right channel, left channel", it's just two seperate channels, so really as long as you're consistent from component to component, it doesn't usually matter which channel you treat as which.

The most important thing to do is get the pot's pinout correct, and the datasheet will tell you that pins x/y are one input/output, and pins a/b are the other. The only problem with wiring a pot backwards is that you'll have to turn it in the opposite direction to change the volume; it'll still work.

Edit: removed some information I think I probably misremembered
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #8 of 25
this is what i used

Looking at the pins from left to right with the shaft pointing up:

1) L - output
2) Ground
3) Ground
4) R - output
5) R - input
6) L - input

Hope this helps

Apr 25, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kal_el_3914
fi you have the panasonic pot, this link will tell you all you need to know. it got me through my first cmoylink

WOW thanks very very much with this being in color thats a + and so i put all the pic info together and i made it i. thanks alot every one
etysmile.gif

Apr 25, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #11 of 25
blink.gif

I think if I were using a pot I'd be in better shape, but seeing as how I forgot to order one with the rest of my parts, I'm not useing one. So, as it stands I just have the input and output components and my power switch to deal with and I'm still lost. I think I figured out what pins are for what channel using my multimeter, but the seemingly simple power switch still alludes me. what goes where? I can't even tell from the tangent pictures what gets connected to what. there are only three posts and one is probably ground right? so what do i solder the other two to?
thanks for the responses

Apr 25, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #12 of 25
so can i just solder the to grounds from the pot together and run one lead wire from that?

o and the second pic is diffrent from the other the last pin is right in the 2nd pic but it in other pic it is left, wich one is the right one to follow????

Apr 25, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tramahound
blink.gif

I think if I were using a pot I'd be in better shape, but seeing as how I forgot to order one with the rest of my parts, I'm not useing one. So, as it stands I just have the input and output components and my power switch to deal with and I'm still lost. I think I figured out what pins are for what channel using my multimeter, but the seemingly simple power switch still alludes me. what goes where? I can't even tell from the tangent pictures what gets connected to what. there are only three posts and one is probably ground right? so what do i solder the other two to?
thanks for the responses

I ran into a similar problem when building my cmoy. People tend to assume you are using a pot. Perhaps the pictures in the following thread will help if I understand your question correctly (look closely at where the wires are going from the jacks to the board):

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ight=cmoy+pics

I'm no electonics whiz, so an expert may need to help with my terminology, but the wires coming from Tip and Ring on the in jack will need to connect to the + and - input sides of the board and the out jack Tip and Ring wires will need to connect to the + and - sides of the output sides of the board. Someone will probably need to help me clarify. Hope this helps.

Apr 25, 2005 at 1:05 PM Post #14 of 25
so, from the looks of those pictures I need to un-solder the battery clip, and work in the power switch. no new solder points go to the board then? also, i don't see anything going to the middle pole on the switch, does that mean it doesn't get grounded? is that ok?
also, for input/output, can i solder to the jumper loop i put on or do i have to take that out and solder the wires to the board there instead?
Thanks

Apr 25, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #15 of 25
It sound like you are still having trouble with your switch. There are many different types of switches but all types will work as long as they meet one requirement:

two pins are connected with the switch in one position and disconnected in the other position.

Position your switch as you would mount it on your chassis. Flip it to on. Use your multimeter to find the two pins that are connected. Flip it to off and verify that they are no longer connected. Current flows in both directions through a closed switch so you dont need to worry about which of the two pins goes to battery and which goes to the board, it will work the same either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back