Wiring my canare f12 plug with mogami w2893 wire
Aug 26, 2011 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

alberto8793

New Head-Fier
so i just received my Canare f12 stereo mini plug 3.5mm, and my mogami w2893 cabling, trouble is i have no idea how to connect it! the little plug only has like 2 places to solder things on! theres this one little like point that comes out in the middle and a sqaurish thing on the side! where do the wires go? like what color whre? thanks!!!!!!!!!!

mail

mail

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 13
Things I've found out, the Canare F12,on the plug in part, the tip is left channel, the center section (between the 2 green lines) is the right channel and the last part is the ground.
So on the back, the long part that sticks out, I believe that's were you wire the grounds.
For wiring the right and left channels. I believe the little pin that sticks out from the center is the right channel
and the ring that goes around it is the left channel.

This might help
http://www.leadsdirect.co.uk/technical/jacks.html

For the Mogami w2983, use the black and clear for grounds and the red for right and blue for left.
But I believe all four wires are same, just different colors.

Helpfully this helps.

Aug 29, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #3 of 13
no, its been ages since i've used the canare as i believe its just waay too huge and is prone to damaging any socket you plug it into due to the weight. but any other mini i have used that has the pin in the center with 2 contacts the one in the center that sticks out the furthest is the left or tip contact and the one surrounding it is right. the large contact is ground thats correct

Nov 27, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 13

Sorry about the necromancy, but I have a definitive answer to this question, so I figured I'd post it to prevent confusion.
Quote:
no, its been ages since i've used the canare as i believe its just waay too huge and is prone to damaging any socket you plug it into due to the weight. but any other mini i have used that has the pin in the center with 2 contacts the one in the center that sticks out the furthest is the left or tip contact and the one surrounding it is right. the large contact is ground thats correct

In wiring up my cable with the F-12 today, I figured out that the center post is the right channel, with the larger, square tab on the side being the left channel.  The long tab with the crimp tabs is, of course, the ground.

Nov 27, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
Sorry about the necromancy, but I have a definitive answer to this question, so I figured I'd post it to prevent confusion.

In wiring up my cable with the F-12 today, I figured out that the center post is the right channel, with the larger, square tab on the side being the left channel.  The long tab with the crimp tabs is, of course, the ground.

That doesn't make any sense at all. Center/Tip is always left. I don't see why Canare would change that around internally on the F12. 

Nov 27, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
That doesn't make any sense at all. Center/Tip is always left. I don't see why Canare would change that around internally on the F12. 

Nevertheless, that's how it works.  I figured it out when I accidentally bridged the gap between the ground and the outer ring with a stray solder bead and lost the left channel.

Nov 27, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 13
So they route the right square tab to the tip of the TRS? 

If not, then your channel reverse is elsewhere. Tip is left. Always.

Nov 27, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
So they route the right square tab to the tip of the TRS? 

If not, then your channel reverse is elsewhere. Tip is left. Always.

Appears you're right; left and right are swapped.  Must be in the female end.  The female plug I used has absolutely nothing to indicate which connector is left or right though - is there any way to tell other than trial and error?  I used a Neutrik female since I couldn't find one that matched the F-12.

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #9 of 13
Multimeter. An absolute must for DIY cables. 

but the same principle applies - left is tip/center. As I recall, the neutrik female isn't super intuitive - but it should trend the same. 

Nov 27, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
Multimeter. An absolute must for DIY cables. 

but the same principle applies - left is tip/center. As I recall, the neutrik female isn't super intuitive - but it should trend the same. 

The Neutrik female doesn't follow the same trend - both signal connectors are arranged at an angle, equally spaced around the edge.  Trial and error suggests that, with the ground tab on the bottom, the left connector is the left channel, and the right connector is the right channel.  This plug is giving me all kinds of problems though - I'm pretty sure I have the channels right, but I can;t tell for sure because I'm getting the right channel bleeding over into the left (and probably the reverse as well, but I couldn't think of any song off the top of my head that has a left channel-only part).  The wires aren't touching at any point that I can see, so I'm beginning to think that there's something busted inside the actual connector.  Are there any better options than the Neutrik for 3.5mm female connectors?

Nov 27, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #11 of 13
I can't recall from the last time I wired a Neutrik female - but honestly just try reversing the left and right... and make sure your solder joints are clean.

Here is a link to a site with test mp3's of different configurations (right/left, etc.)

http://www.testsounds.com/

Nov 27, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
I can't recall from the last time I wired a Neutrik female - but honestly just try reversing the left and right... and make sure your solder joints are clean.

Here is a link to a site with test mp3's of different configurations (right/left, etc.)

http://www.testsounds.com/

I posted that after fiddling around with the connectors (left and right were reversed before) and re-soldering them correctly.  I tested with Pinball Wizard - the guitar at the beginning comes in on the right channel only - and got the configuration correct.  After I re-assembled the cable, I noticed that the right channel would cut into the left channel, especially if the cable is moved.  I opened the plug back up to see if the channel wires were touching, but they were fine, but I noticed that the ground connector was loose.  Pretty sure that's the problem.  Basically, the Neutrik connector didn't like getting re-soldered or something like that.

Edit: I can find pre-made cables with the matching Canare female plug, but it seems like no one sells just the plug...

Nov 27, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #13 of 13
why bother? the neutrik females are perfectly fine, the best ive used; i'm afraid its operator error here. adding a similarly large female on the end of a ridiculously large mini + cable is going to kill your mini sockets in no time with weight.

get yourself a multimeter.....

btw about the canare terminals...told ya so......
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back