wiring isolation transformer for balanced grounding question
Jan 6, 2007 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

NotoriousBIG_PJ

Step 1: Plug power cable into wall. Step 2: Plug other end of power cable into....umm.... Step 0.5: Order something to power with power cable.
I grounded my balanced isolation transformer as follows:

transformer_diagram_2.JPG

It was recommended to me on another forumn that a better grounding scheme would be the following:

"-Term #7 to Case Ground and input Safety Ground
-Jumper Term #9 to Term #10 then to:
Socket Safety Ground then to:
Case Ground and input Safety Ground"

Would anyone be able show me an example of what this would look like, or offer your own opinions?

Thanks,

Biggie.

Jan 6, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #2 of 4
it sounds like they are describing a "cleaner" system. i think they mean that you should route the wires differently. rather than having the center of the output go to the chasis ground, send it to the ground on the plug. THEN send the ground on the plug to the chasis ground. depending on the actual layout, it may not even mater.

also, it looks like your transformer's input is wired for 240V.

Jan 6, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #3 of 4
Equi=Tech states that the ctenter tap of the secondary must be directly connected to the chassis/earth ground. As long as your leads are amply sized, it makes sense to have the balanced outlets' grounding screws wired to the same chassis point (star ground). It looks good to me as you have it. As long as the wiring is properly sized, the impedance looks very low, and it appears you have a central/star ground.

Furthermore, if the chassis is metal, most outlet frames are common to ground, although this is not considered to be a ground connection unless you are wiring with armored BX and metal outlet boxes.

As for the input, it should be wired in series for 240v. The output is also in series for 230v. So if you apply 120v to the primare, you will get ~115 on the secondary.

Jan 6, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #4 of 4
Hehe, I had the brown and black wires switched on my first version of this diagram, and on diyaudio one guy was saying I had it wired for 240v, so I altered the diagram for the head-fi version. I drew it from looking at my current setup and I can't tell which wire is black and which is brown. :p

But no worries, it has been running without fault in 60/60 volta since I wired it almost 2 years ago.

I beleive I grounded my system this way based of this Jon Rish quote:

"If a technical ground as described in the equi=tech article is not constructed according to the proper method and connections, then the original AC ground should be used for all the grounds."

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back