Wiring advice for 1 DAC, 2 headphone amps, and 1 speaker amp
Sep 19, 2017 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

w0nx

New Head-Fier
Hello all - long time listener, first time caller here.

Here's my desktop setup:
  • PC
  • Sony MDRZ7 headphones
  • Monoprice 1060 headphones
  • Questyle CMA400i solid state amp & DAC (coming soon)
  • Darkvoice 336 from massdrop (coming soon)
  • Emotiva A100 power amp
  • KEF Q100 speakers
  • MartinLogan Dynamo 300 sub
I'm looking for suggestions on optimal wiring configuration to allow easy output switching between solid state headphone amp (Questyle), tube amp (Darkvoice), and speakers out of the Emotiva. The Questyle has an output switch for headphones and RCA, but scratch my head on how to introduce the Darkvoice. What's the best way to integrate a second headphone amp? Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Untitled.png

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 7
Your main problem there is how many preamp stages are in all the amps you use, not to mention your DAC - the CMA400i - as best I can tell from the product page will only have preamplified outputs. Best ways to use a solid state headphone amp, tube headphone amp, and speakers are:

1. DAC with fixed voltage output >> Schiit Sys preamp in reverse, max volume >> SS HPamp
>> Tube HPamp >Preamp output> Power amp (no preamp stage or bypassed) >> Speakers

2. DAC with fixed voltage output >> Traditional size integrated amplifier >Rec/Tape Loop> Schiit Sys >> SS HPamp
>> Tube HPamp

3. Assuming the output on the back of the A100 is fixed voltage: DAC >> A100 >> Schiit Sys >> SS HPamp
>> Tube HPamp

Sep 20, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #3 of 7
Your main problem there is how many preamp stages are in all the amps you use, not to mention your DAC - the CMA400i - as best I can tell from the product page will only have preamplified outputs. Best ways to use a solid state headphone amp, tube headphone amp, and speakers are:

1. DAC with fixed voltage output >> Schiit Sys preamp in reverse, max volume >> SS HPamp
>> Tube HPamp >Preamp output> Power amp (no preamp stage or bypassed) >> Speakers

2. DAC with fixed voltage output >> Traditional size integrated amplifier >Rec/Tape Loop> Schiit Sys >> SS HPamp
>> Tube HPamp

3. Assuming the output on the back of the A100 is fixed voltage: DAC >> A100 >> Schiit Sys >> SS HPamp
>> Tube HPamp
The CMA400i can be set as a normal DAC output without pre-amp function :)

I would suggest a system like number 3, however the Schiit Sys won't be enough as it has 2 in, 1 out. what you need is 1 in, 2 out.

So what I suggest, passive preamp like this: http://www.tisburyaudio.co.uk/mini-....tisburyaudio.co.uk/mini-passive-preamplifier

CMA400i >> A100 >> RCA out >> Tisbury Preamp RCA1 + RCA2 >> 1 to sub and the other to the darkvoice.

Technically you could do this, but then you would need the tube amp on to use your subwoofer, and it would act as a pre-amp which you don't want.

CMA400i >> A100 >> Darkvoice >> Sub.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #4 of 7
I've never used the Sys, but I remember Zeos saying you can run it 1 in, 2 out, OR 1 out, 2 in. Is this accurate?

Sep 20, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 7
I remember Zeos saying the same thing about the sys. That Tisbury, though.... :L3000:

Protege - the RCA on the a100 is fixed.

What if I duplicated the stereo speaker level lines to the sub, and used the RCA loop to the Darkvoice. The dynamo sub has 4 speaker wire posts and an RCA. Could I avoid a passive pre-amp this way, and is there any inherent benefit to using line level vs split speaker level to send a sub signal?

Appreciate the suggestions!

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #7 of 7
Protege - the RCA on the a100 is fixed.

That can handle the signal to the DV336SE. Set the CMA400i to fixed level line out and hook that up to the A100 input.

The dynamo sub has 4 speaker wire posts and an RCA. Could I avoid a passive pre-amp this way, and is there any inherent benefit to using line level vs split speaker level to send a sub signal?

Barring a preamp that can output a signal to a pure power amp for the speakers and to the sub simultaneously* that's the only way you you can use the preamp stage of the A100 to control the subwoofer along with the mains.

*Ex. My NAD 304 has an external connection between the preamp stage and power amp stage in the back. I hooked up a Y-connector there to split the signal between its own power amp stage and the sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back