Wiring a line-in and bluetooth to car stereo
Jan 23, 2015 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

triple-u

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

Not sure if Head-fi is the right place to ask this but I know there are some pretty intelligent people here so I'll see if I can pick some brains here.

I have an 13 year old Honda Accord with the stock radio and decided to try adding a line-in to it. I took apart the stereo and found the Left and Right audio points on the PCB between the CD player and the main board. I assembled a cable using Canare mic wire and soldered one end to those inputs and a 3.5 mm jack on the other end. This works okay, but it's a little bit quiet and a tiny bit of noise. My guess is that the point I soldered it bypassed a preamp or some other filter on the CD player PCB. Not a big deal though. It works.

Next, I decided to take it a step further and go wireless by adding a bluetooth adapter (this one). To power the adapter, I wired another cable to the 12V power from the radio and converted it to 5V and added a usb jack.

Unfortunately, when I connect my phone through bluetooth to the adapter and play music, there is a lot of noise and the actual audio is very quiet. At first I thought it was a grounding issue so I tried powering the bluetooth adapter with a portable battery. Still no good.

I know the bluetooth adapter works since I've tried it with everything from headphones, studio speakers, and a home theatre system and had no issues.

Anyone here have any tips?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back