Wiring a button for PC
Jan 25, 2010 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

.Sup

Headphoneus Supremus
Jan 25, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #2 of 7
Is this for the power button, or something else?

If it's for the power button, sure, it will work fine; I've actually used those very switches as power buttons for PC motherboards before; they work great (if overkill.) The motherboard header just has two pins for the switch itself and two for the LED; you just connect these to the corresponding pins on the switch.

Some low-power motherboards (Atom) I've worked with assume a red or green LED for the power indicator. I used one of the Bulgin switches with a blue LED indicator and it's a bit dim (the forward voltage of blue LEDs is a little higher than red or green, which changes the resistor value you need for a given current.) So, if you use blue or white, it might be a bit dim, depending on your motherboard (I've gotten pretty good brightness with blue LEDs on standard desktop boards, though.)

You'll probably want some 100-mil 2-position sockets to actually plug in properly to the headers on the motherboard.

If you want to wire up a button for something other than power or reset, then those buttons will still work, but you'd need some way to actually interface it to the PC (such as through the parallel port or via a USB interface.) Or, some USB DAC chips (such as the BB PCM270x chips) have a few extra pins for wiring up play/pause/skip/volume buttons, which appear on the PC side as a USB HID device.

Jan 25, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks so much Brifi and yes I will use it for power and reset button. Its fine if its dim because I don't really like very bright LEDs, I just need the light to be visible so I know if the PC is off or on. I will be buying one of Zotac's mini itx ion motherboards with dual core Atoms and I will probably use the sockets from an old case.
wow I have found them prewired: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...oducts_id=4056

Jan 25, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its fine if its dim because I don't really like very bright LEDs,

This. So much this. If I could lift my CoolerMaster case, I could use the Power LED as a flashlight.

Jan 25, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This. So much this. If I could lift my CoolerMaster case, I could use the Power LED as a flashlight.

Heh, yeah. I actually have both the power and the drive LEDs disconnected on my PC that's in a CoolerMaster case because they are way too bright.

Jan 25, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

biggrin.gif
same. My Stacker's LEDs flash so bright it annoys me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back