Wiring a bi-amp/bi-wire speaker
Oct 13, 2004 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

replytoken

500+ Head-Fier
I have a question about wiring a speaker that has the capacity for bi-amping/bi-wiring. I will not be bi-amping the speaker, and have yet to be convinced of the merits of bi-wiring (not that they are not there) so the question I have relates to a single bare wire connection from my integrated amp to the speaker. The speakers, a pair of Rega Juras, came with gold plated(?) bridges to connect the woofer terminals to the tweeter terminals to share the signal. Are the bridges sufficient for sharing the signal, or should they be replaced with speaker wire? The wire I am presently using is from Tara Labs. Its their Omni Prism wire.

One reason I ask is that I initially hooked the wires to the tweeter terminals and thought the speakers sounded a bit bright. When I moved them, and temporarily removed their spikes, and then hooked the wires to the woofer terminals, they sounded much better. So, it could be the temporary loss of spikes that helped (seems kind of odd), wiring to the woofer terminals instead of the tweeter terminals, or any of a variety of unknown reasons that the sound changed. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 13, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 3
Well, it wouldn't be too hard to flip the cables on the speaker terminal back and forth a couple times to answer part of the question.
tongue.gif
I remember doing that with my speakers when I first got them. I didn't really notice anything, but decided to keep them on the woofer. Maybe put the plus on the woofer and the minus on the tweeter to balance them out
biggrin.gif
I think the difference you heard was probably because you repositioned the speakers. As for whether the jumper is good enough, I think so. I use the provided jumpers on my Paradgims and have never really felt the need to change them out. I suppose it makes sense that wire jumpers would be better though.

Oct 15, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 3
That's exactly why I bi-wired my Spendor S3/5's -- because I could hear a difference, depending on whether I had the single-wires hooked to the upper or lower pair of terminals.

I should also mention that several companies -- including Cardas -- make upgrade speaker terminal joiners...or whatever they're called.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back