Wiring a 3.5mm Stereo Jack
Dec 22, 2003 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

giambi777

New Head-Fier
I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but I can't for the life of me find any information on this!

I have a 3.5mm Stereo Jack that I need to connect to my first CMOY amp. I bought it from digi-key.com. There are 5 fins coming out of it, but I only need Left and Right......right? Do I need to use a ground wire on the jack also? Are there any guides or informational links that show how I should solder the wires onto the posts?

The image attached shows what I am talking about:

Dec 22, 2003 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 8
bam!
attachment.php

Dec 22, 2003 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 8
There we go! Thanks so much!

So does anyone have any links to places that show how you should wire panel components? I looked at Tangent's guide, but it doesn't really go into specifics. I guess I just solder wires (stranded, 20 gauge) onto the little poles, and then put heat-shrink around it?

Also, do I need to put a third wire (in addition to Right and Left) going to the ground on the circuit board?

Dec 22, 2003 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

I guess I just solder wires (stranded, 20 gauge) onto the little poles, and then put heat-shrink around it?

yupp

Quote:

Also, do I need to put a third wire (in addition to Right and Left) going to the ground on the circuit board?

well...all ground connects to circuit board's gound. ground pole on your input jack connects to pot's ground, pot's ground connects to circuit board's gound (remember to connect the two ground poles on the pot togather). ouput jack's ground also connects to circuit board's gound

Dec 22, 2003 at 4:04 AM Post #6 of 8
Ok, I think i finally understand everything, but i just want to be sure.

I got the wiring information from this (I have the second one):
cmoy2_4.gif

I made up a spiffy schematic-type thing for the Input/Output on my CMOY. Is this correct? Also, should I jsut solder pins 2 and 3 of the Pot together, and just solder in the two ground wires? Also, I'm not sure if I read that Pot picture right.....does 6->1, and 5->4?

Dec 22, 2003 at 4:34 AM Post #7 of 8
yes that is correct

Dec 22, 2003 at 8:43 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks SOO much for helping me with this!!!! I jsut finished my first CMOY, and it WORKS! I didn't mess anything up
smily_headphones1.gif

So what's next? PPA?
smily_headphones1.gif
How much does a complete PPA cost anyways?

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back