Wiring a 1/4 inch plug?
Apr 22, 2003 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

joelongwood

Keeper of the 'Phones
A quick question for the DIY crew, if you please. I'm attempting to add a 1/4 plug to the 4 bare wires of the stock cable of the AKG K1000 headphones. I picked up a 1/4 plug at RS (I know, I know)........but it doesn't tell me where the wires go. There are 3 places to connect the wires......what goes where? I do know which of the cable wires is which (R+L+, R-,L-).
Thanks for any help you can give me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2003 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 17
A stereo phono plug has three connections. The grounds will share the common ground connection (on the sleeve). The center contact point should be for the tip and that is the left channel. The other contact point is for the ring and that’s the right channel.

Apr 22, 2003 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
A stereo phono plug has three connections. The grounds will share the common ground connection (on the sleeve). The center contact point should be for the tip and that is the left channel. The other contact point is for the ring and that?s the right channel.

Thanks, Sol...........by "sleeve," do you mean the outermost connector?

Apr 22, 2003 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
Thanks, Sol...........by "sleeve," do you mean the outermost connector?

The ground is usually the part that has the crimp to add stress relief.

Apr 22, 2003 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 17
good luck.
smily_headphones1.gif

Will the amp with the 1/4 output have enough juice for the 1000s? ?

Apr 22, 2003 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
good luck.
smily_headphones1.gif

Will the amp with the 1/4 output have enough juice for the 1000s? ?

Actually, my purpose in doing this is that I'm interested in seeing if there is a sonic difference using the stock cable, as I already have a custom cable patterned after Orpheus' design, built by aeberbech. I've used both the RKV (fantastic) and the Sugden (very good) so far.
Thanks again for the help.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2003 at 5:18 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
Ask him about his matchbook mod.
biggrin.gif

Okay... I'll bite.

Apr 23, 2003 at 2:17 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
Ask him about his matchbook mod.
biggrin.gif

Ah, the famous (infamous) matchbook mod. Only a few people have been privy to this (JMT, Neruda), but it definitely works wonders with an MG Head. It should more accuartely be referred to as the matchbook "fix."
For some reason, which I couldn't find, my MG Head developed a situation that caused the sound out of both headphone jacks to be intermittent if the cable was wiggled. I took it apart, checked all connections, and evrything looked fine.
I found that if I pulled the front metal face plate forward slightly, the sound remained constant. Hence, the idea of wedging a matchbook cover in between the front plate and the chassis.......voila!
So, you see guys, my DIY exploits have gone unnoticed on this site. But now that I have a track record, I hope i get a bit more respect.
One question, though........can I just use a paper clip in place of solder for the 1/4 plug, since they look pretty much the same?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back