Wires for DIY headphone cables
Oct 22, 2018 at 8:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Sebastian.Athea

100+ Head-Fier
What kind of wires should I use for making 4 meter (don't ask) headphone cable for Focal Elear?
I like the look of 24 AWG bare copper speaker cable with clear isolation, but those are the cheapest kind of cables, and I'm not sure if using them is a good idea.
medium_b5016-PrimeCables-Cab-2747-Speaker-Wires-50ft-Speaker-Wire-12AWG-Enhanced-Loud-Oxygen-Free-Copper-Cable-PrimeCables-.jpg

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 9
Very true Benjamin. At 24 gauge, I wouldn't suggest solid core. Anything 7 strands or higher will be nice and flexible, provided the dielectric is flexible. The item you have pictured should be fine.

If you want to buy something that's slightly more ideal, Canare or Mogami 24 or 26 gauge star quad is a good choice that's easy on the wallet. Check out Redco.com or a local pro-audio shop.

Oct 23, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 9
Very true Benjamin. At 24 gauge, I wouldn't suggest solid core. Anything 7 strands or higher will be nice and flexible, provided the dielectric is flexible. The item you have pictured should be fine.

If you want to buy something that's slightly more ideal, Canare or Mogami 24 or 26 gauge star quad is a good choice that's easy on the wallet. Check out Redco.com or a local pro-audio shop.
Thanks for the help!

Oct 23, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 9
I recently began making cables and I started with some canare star quad, and the dual connector stuff. Its a fine cable, but the braided shielding can be difficult to work with.
I found this video, and the first minute or so was really useful.

Oct 23, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 9
Should I be worried about capacitance for longer cables?

It’s a minor detail, but unless you’re running 50-100+ feet, I wouldn’t concern yourself. You’ll learn from experimentation. I’d advise trying a few different low-cost cables and seeing where your preferences lead you. This is the fun part. If you keep asking us old-timers what’s best, you won’t be able to find that out for yourself :wink:

Nov 8, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #9 of 9
Hi ! i made some years ago an extension cable for a Grado sr200 using Neutrik jack/socket and a Canare mic cable this one http://www.canare.com/ProductItemDisplay.aspx?productItemID=57
it sounded very very good.
For separate wiring to each pad why not use a nice mini coaxial ?
if you look at the wires going to the drivers inside a HP they can be thin like an hair. Maybe those are too thin i agree. But the current is so low ...
The very tricky and delicate part is the soldering ... the heat can easily damage the plastic membrane of drivers. That has stopped me in a mod project.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back