Hi!

Short Version:

Looking for earphones

Budget: 500usd max

What: Earphones replacement for Westone UM2 RC

Must have features: BT connectivity

Nice to have features: option to work wired

Paired with: Phone, PC

What other headphones I like: B&w p7 wireless (at the end you will find a list of headphones i don't like)

What music I listen: rock, metal, pop(70s and 80s)

TLTR:
My Westone UM2 RC died today. I have been using the past 10 years and looking for new earphones with BT connectivity options. Option to use wired would be a plus. If it is possible I would like to stay in the 500usd range.

I used it mainly with my phones, Sansa clip, Ibasso DX90.

I really don't know what I like in earphones, just it is hard for me to describe... Other headphones that I like are B&W P7 wireless (and UM2 ofc)... So I would like something similar to this or just better? Ofc in size similar to UM2

I have tested some headphones in my life and can easily tell what headphones I don't liked or were just meet for me:
  • Bose QC35
  • Sony MDR-1000x
  • Bose qc20
  • Airpods and airpods pro
  • Superlux HD330
  • B&W P5 wireless
  • Koss porta pro
  • Beats solo 3
  • Samung buds and buds +
  • Sennheiser Momentum M2

Can anyone help me?

Apr 28, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 4
I have the UM Pro 10's and they are tiny. I don't think the UM2's are much bigger, just a bit thicker and rounder like the newer W10/W20's are. Most TWS are going to be larger than you'd like.

Getting the Westone sound is going to be hard as most TWS are consumer sound oriented. Have you considered getting another Westone and something like the BT20, BT20S, UTWS1 or Fostex TM2? Maybe the W20 or UM Pro 20.

If you need a small size, maybe the Bomaker Sifi would suffice? I haven't heard them personally, I probably would have bought them if they had wireless charging. It was recommended in this thread by several people:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/going-fully-wireless-iems-too-soon-or-are-we-there-yet.861024/

The Tronsmart Spunky Beats are also small, the smallest TWS I've had. I could sleep with them on my side as they disappeared into my ears. SQ is good but not in the better/best catagory, these are a budget set and usually sub $26 on AE.

My personal favorite thus far are my Mavin Air-XR's. SQ is noticeably better. Fairly small ear pieces, but wider/thicker than the Spunky Beats, so no-go on side sleeping. They are the most comfortable while fit is very stable set I've had. Case is absolutely tiny.

The last possible option off the top of my head would be the Earin M2. Another I haven't heard, but probably the smallest overall. Battery life is lacking compared to the newer TWS offerings and thats why I skipped them.

The only TWS offering that also works wired I can recall is the BGVP Q2 and one other that are custom IEM's.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #3 of 4
Thank you very much for a very detailed answer it cleared my choice a lot.
Can you tell me if there is a notable difference between BT20S and UTWS1 and Shure RMCE-BT2?
Also, Could you recommend me any headphones that sound similar or have a similar sound signature but sound better compared to UM2?
I'm really a noob and when I read about the description of sound signatures I just don't get it, and as you have seen I dislike many headphones that are regarded as sounding good.

Many thanks for any help it is much appreciated!

As for TWS I'll give a try to a Tronsmart Spunky Beats and Bomaker Sifi (regardless of replacement for UM2, just don't believe that TWS can sound good enough as main headphones, but can be sufficient as backup headphones)

Apr 29, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #4 of 4
The Fiio UTWS1 is made by TRN for Fiio. It appears to be an improved BT20S. I'd call the UTWS1 version 3 of the line up, BT20 > BT20S > UTWS1. It's what I'd try next if my BT20S dies.

I haven't tried the RMCE-BT2 so can't say. I do like zero wires, as I previously tried some KZ bt aptx cable (crap, avoid it) and the TRN BT10 bt cable (ok). No wires was a big step up in convenience IMO.

I've never heard the UM2 so I couldn't say for sure. Given Westone has a house sound, your best bet would be another Westone IEM.

A quick search found this site:
https://clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2016/11/westone-labs-um2-iem.html?m=1

Here is a frequency graph to give an idea of the UM2's response.
Westone Labs UM2 - raw.png

I also referenced @crinacle 's excellent database of frequency graphs here:
https://crinacle.com/graphs/

These graphs only give a general idea of the sound. Many things we hear cannot currently be graphed, so it's just a general guide to hopefully find something somewhat similar.

W20.jpg
W40.jpg
UM-Pro-20-1600x789.jpg
UM-Pro-30-1600x789.jpg
UM-Pro-50.jpg

The closest in signature appear to be the recently discontinued W40 and the UM Pro 30 & 50 (with less bass roll off). The W40 has been replaced by the W40 V2, which also comes with a Bluetooth cable. It has changed tuning according to Westone.
https://www.head-fi.org/goto/post?id=14733564

@twister6 has a comparison here:
https://twister6.com/2019/04/11/review-guide-to-2nd-gen-westone-w-series-w10-w20-w40-w60-and-w80/3/
W40-2 vs W40-1 – The soundstage here, in both width and depth, are nearly identical. When it comes to tuning, I hear some noticeable differences. The original W40-1 bass has a very similar extension and quality, but the bass quantity in W40-2 is more elevated and sounds more analog; W40-1 bass is more neutral and a little faster/tighter, while W40-2 bass is more dynamic, deeper, with more impact. Mids, both lower and upper, are nearly identical in quality and quantity, being detailed and natural. But treble is different again, with both being crisp and sparkly, but W40-1 is brighter and harsher in comparison to W40-2 sounding more natural and less fatigue. I never really thought of the original W40-1 treble as being fatigue, but when you compare these two side-by-side, you can hear the difference.

You can possibly still find a w40 v1 new in box, or used (ebay and the FS forum).

Lots of choices and a bit difficult to parse. The only real way to know unfortunately is to try them.

If you're getting the sifi, I'd probably skip the Spunky Beats. My pair had lackluster (IMO) battery life 2:40-3hr w/aptx and 3-3:20 w/sbc codec (lower quality).

As far as SQ on BT goes, I'm selling my um pro 10's as my Mavin Air-XR sound good and what I reach for most. They're comfortable, convenient and way less hassle. Especially true now that my phone lacks a 3.5mm jack lol (pixel 3 xl). I know I could get an ES100 or BTR5 but I really like having no wires. Surprised me how much so after I got my first BT20.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back