Wireless router
Oct 16, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #16 of 32
So the -L in WRT54gL stands for Linux, right? So is the firmware that you download like DDWRT, is that like a linux system? In that case there's no point to the -L because you are just going to replace the firmware anyway? Or is firmware different than the OS?

Oct 16, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #17 of 32
From Wikipedia:

Quote:

Linksys released the WRT54GL in 2005 to support third-party firmware based on Linux, after the original WRT54G line was switched from Linux to VxWorks, starting with version 5. The WRT54GL is technically a reissue of the version 4 WRT54G.

The -GL also has more RAM and flash memory than the -G which allows its firmware to be upgraded but also makes it faster.

Oct 16, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Braver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-1 here. read around and don't only read the 5 year old stuff. it isn't the router it used to be. the one you can buy today is totally crippled.

I got a D-Link DI-624 which I think is brilliant. There are loads of options and it does everything I need. One thing you'll face with all (cheap as in below $500) routers is that you need to make sure you're on a free channel. If you're in an area with a lot of wireless networks and there is too much interference, a router will switch channels itself causing a temporary disconnect (killing your downloads for instance). Channel 1 works best at my place, and it's been going without a hitch since. I guess most routers will work fine, as long as they allow you to set a password, and keep that password set after a restart (there are many, linksys included, who forget a passwords has been set).

You're thinking of the WRT54G not the WRT54GL.

Oct 16, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wireless is insecure and slow. Just spend a few dollars on an ethernet cable.

And if you don't already have a router, just install pfsense on an old computer.

This is the overly geeky method--nothing beats a very small, $50 box, with low power usage, that just works. Router PCs need multiple NICs, have to be set up, big pain. Draft N, heck, even G works very well. Torrenting at 1MB/s, what more could you ask of your wireless? Wires are ugly, especially if your house isn't wired with ethernet cable.

I've had good experience with D Link, though their stuff will usually die after 2-4 years, they are flawless for that time. I have this old netgear 10/100 router that cost $100 in 2002, and it can barely manage 600Kb/s, it is just that plain slow, 10/100 in name only! Boy have times changed.

Oct 16, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #20 of 32
i used an old netgear router since ~1999 and it was good enough for me. but the convenience of wireless won me over. do i really need to transfer files at over 1mb/s? not really. even if i transfer huge loads of music/videos at a time, that extra couple of minutes is nothing to sweat about. (for me anyways)

Oct 21, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #21 of 32
from my experience of setting up wireless routers for a major big-box electronics retailer, linksys tends to have the best lifespan of the major brand routers. they all seem to suck in their own way, but linksys less than the others. the only brand I don't know much about, but was always curious, is Buffalo. when we first started carrying them they got great reviews, but I never got to set one up, and I haven't needed to buy a new router yet, so I've never seen how well they operate.

but for what it's worth, based on experience, I tend to recommend linksys. not necessarily because they're good, but just because they're better than the rest.

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a WRT54G and give it DD-WRT firmware. Best ever wireless router.

WRT54GL. The "L" is VERY important.
smile.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #24 of 32
I bought an -L model. So far (like one hour lol) it's been fine. I didn't bother flashing the firmware because I don't see the point as long as I'm not doing fancy stuff with it or wanting to turn up the power. It covers my 550sq.ft. apartment just fine.

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a WRT54G and give it DD-WRT firmware. Best ever wireless router.

I second this..I have two of them and they are awesome. One is a 54GS v2 and one is a 54GS v5.1 and they work awesome. Neither of them have been reset in at least 2 years, minus upgrades, and they handle a ton of data.

DD-WRT has some awesome options on it also, many of them you will probably not even use. It is very stable though and worth the flash.

Oct 22, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the overly geeky method--nothing beats a very small, $50 box, with low power usage, that just works. Router PCs need multiple NICs, have to be set up, big pain. Draft N, heck, even G works very well. Torrenting at 1MB/s, what more could you ask of your wireless? Wires are ugly, especially if your house isn't wired with ethernet cable.

I've had good experience with D Link, though their stuff will usually die after 2-4 years, they are flawless for that time. I have this old netgear 10/100 router that cost $100 in 2002, and it can barely manage 600Kb/s, it is just that plain slow, 10/100 in name only! Boy have times changed.

I've had great experiences with D-Link lately as well. Their DGL series routers are outstanding, I have had the DGL-4300 for about 3-4 years now with no issues. I've set up a few DIR-655's for friends/relatives/clients and they're every bit as good. I hear great things about the DIR-625 as well. The auto-QoS (StreamEngine is the marketing name I think) is super slick, especially for those who do VOIP and any other sort of streaming online. (games, video, audio)

Oct 24, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #29 of 32
Like everyone have said, WRT54GL is a good choice. Other possible choices are Linksys WRT310N (if you want the N protocol and/or Gigabit), WRT600N (310N + usb storage).
Other DD-WRT compatible routers are good =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back