Wireless router
Oct 15, 2008 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
I just bought a new laptop and want to set up an acess point at home. Problem is I'm broke and don't want to spend $75 or whatever on a wireless router that in my experience, dies every 2 years anyway I don't have Wireless N equipment and I don't see any point in buying an N router. I was looking at this one on newegg. I'm not hip on the new redesigned internal-antenna offering from Linksys. Any ideas on cheap, but reliable, wireless routers? I don't game, but I do torrent a bit.

Newegg.com - TP-LINK TL-WR541G IEEE 802.3/3u/3x, IEEE 802.11b/g eXtended Range 54M Wireless Router - Wireless Routers

Oct 15, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 32
If you don't want a pre-N router, there's only one model to buy, the Linksys WRT54GL.

Newegg.com - LINKSYS WRT54GL IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router - Wireless Routers

It is on the more expensive side for a non pre-N router but the "L" in the model number is significant. This means that the firmware is running on a Linux base and its source code, as such, has been made available to the public. You can even download replacement firmwares that offer features like VPNs that are only available on more expensive routers.

This router works, works quickly, and is reliable. I have installed several and know of a few that have been in use for at least three years.

Oct 15, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 32
I would just buy an AirPort Express. Extremely handy device for both Windows and OS X, and works extremely well. They recently incorporated wireless N, but as far as I'm aware there was no price increase. I manage on at least a weekly basis the inner workings of a rather complex network (two wireless Macs, a wired PC running Ubuntu, and a USB printer) about 7,000 miles from me, and have had absolutely no troubles with the wireless network.

Oct 15, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 32
what exactly does the airport express do that makes it different from a router? what about devices like slingboxes? should I consider that?

Regarding the linksys, I have one of those and I'm replacing it. I'm not sure if it's that exact model, but it has been nothing but trouble ever since I bought it. In college I had to reset it almost daily. When I moved here a year ago, I put DD-WRT firmware on it in at attempt to make it not suck....I should have thrown it away, because it was nothing but trouble for another entire 1.5 years, constantly the network would come down, and only resettning the router or logging into the web-interface and back out would fix it. I recently took it out of the network and plugged my computer back into the DSL modem directly and have been good for like 2 months or more.

Oct 15, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what exactly does the airport express do that makes it different from a router?

Apple - AirPort Express - Features - Internet Sharing

The link above should shed some light on the most critical bits of information.

Oct 16, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding the linksys, I have one of those and I'm replacing it. I'm not sure if it's that exact model, but it has been nothing but trouble ever since I bought it. In college I had to reset it almost daily. When I moved here a year ago, I put DD-WRT firmware on it in at attempt to make it not suck....I should have thrown it away, because it was nothing but trouble for another entire 1.5 years, constantly the network would come down, and only resettning the router or logging into the web-interface and back out would fix it. I recently took it out of the network and plugged my computer back into the DSL modem directly and have been good for like 2 months or more.

Are sure you are commenting on the GL model? The non-"L" is pretty bad and generally does require frequent resets.

To make matters worse, the GL and non-"L" look the same.

Oct 16, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Wireless is insecure and slow. Just spend a few dollars on an ethernet cable.

I wire my desktop, but I want to use my laptop around the house. Besides, you still need a router if you use ethernet cable.

Oct 16, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1.

-1 here. read around and don't only read the 5 year old stuff. it isn't the router it used to be. the one you can buy today is totally crippled.

I got a D-Link DI-624 which I think is brilliant. There are loads of options and it does everything I need. One thing you'll face with all (cheap as in below $500) routers is that you need to make sure you're on a free channel. If you're in an area with a lot of wireless networks and there is too much interference, a router will switch channels itself causing a temporary disconnect (killing your downloads for instance). Channel 1 works best at my place, and it's been going without a hitch since. I guess most routers will work fine, as long as they allow you to set a password, and keep that password set after a restart (there are many, linksys included, who forget a passwords has been set).

Oct 16, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #14 of 32
Just go on eBay and buy a WRT54G firmware version 4 (not L) and load the software on it yourself. Buying it with the L just means you are paying someone to pre-load Linux on there for you. Plus, the WRT54Gs around the firmware version 4 or so (says on stick what firmware version it is) have larger memory and faster processors than the newer models (got to love Cisco). With this firmware you can use it as an AP, repeater, hotspot, or a host of other features not normally available on a consumer router.

Oct 16, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #15 of 32
PM me... I have a WRT54G that I can give to you. I replaced my linksys gear with separate cisco components and the old linksys box is collecting dust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back