wireless router recommendations needed
Sep 6, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #16 of 26
For price/performance concerns the newer Buffalo WHR-G125 would be a very good choice. According to the dd-wrt wiki its the cheapest router that supports their firmware.

According to DD-WRT, all of the routers mentioned in this thread so far (aside from the netgear) are broadcom based. The whr-g125 uses a newer broadcom based chipset and is set to run higher clockspeeds out of the box. The router is cheaper and would seem to indicate that it would have better performance ie managing connections more efficiently due to its higher clockspeed. It also has the same memory configurations as the other options.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

I picked up the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 for its range to split internet costs with my neighbors. For my purposes, it was a significant improvement over my old WRT54G v3.1 especially when large amounts of connections were involved (torrents) and new wireless clients joined (neighbors).

Oh, this is all assuming that these routers are flashed with dd-wrt.

Sep 7, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #17 of 26
Any Dlink users here? My DI-624 wifi router AND DWL-G132 USB adaptor keeps reconnecting. Very very annoying :x

Google results suggest alot of people are having the same problems. What kind of a sick joke is it when two products from the same family don't even work well together?

Oct 7, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #19 of 26
I'd stick with the highest edition of Netgear that you can afford. Love it. Haven't had a problem in several years but I continually upgrade editions via ebay.

Oct 7, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #20 of 26
V2 54g with dd-wrt. Please for the love of all that is good stay away from d-link, I'm not too fond of Netgear myself but I don't have the dislike of it that I have of d-link.

Oct 7, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #21 of 26
I've had 3 Netgears die on me. 1 Linksys running DD-WRT died as well. Dont yell at me here but my Apple Extreme 802.11N has been running smooth for 3 months. I don't even have an Apple computer and I'm connecting just fine at 300Mbps.

Oct 7, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #22 of 26
Why are so many people recommending 802.11G routers? If you own more than one computer (as opposed to just using your router to connect to the Internet), the speed difference between G and N is very significant. It means the difference between having to hunt around for an Ethernet cable to transfer large files and being able to just do it wirelessly in reasonable time.

The idea that N isn't finished is nonsense... the standard has been technically finished for a while, there is just some political nonsense in Australia that is holding up the final standard.

Oct 7, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had 3 Netgears die on me. 1 Linksys running DD-WRT died as well. Dont yell at me here but my Apple Extreme 802.11N has been running smooth for 3 months. I don't even have an Apple computer and I'm connecting just fine at 300Mbps.

had a linksys first then airport now airport extreme and express.

Oct 7, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #24 of 26
If you are going to use a alterantive firmware be sure to try out openwrt.

Oct 8, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why are so many people recommending 802.11G routers? If you own more than one computer (as opposed to just using your router to connect to the Internet), the speed difference between G and N is very significant. It means the difference between having to hunt around for an Ethernet cable to transfer large files and being able to just do it wirelessly in reasonable time.

The idea that N isn't finished is nonsense... the standard has been technically finished for a while, there is just some political nonsense in Australia that is holding up the final standard.

I suspect because most people are still using 802.11g hardware and the newer standard is more expensive. Currently, if you want to do it right, N will set you back 200-300 dollars or higher. Sure, you can buy cheaper bargan bin crap, but that is what you are going to get.

N, in general, has potentially greater instability/compatibility compared to the other standards. 802.11g is cheap, reliable and readily available. Not everyone is an early adopter of new technology. Prices are high and bugs are still being worked out. Given several more years, I think you'll find more people using/suggesting the new standard. It needs more time to become mainstream at the consumer level.

~Z

Oct 8, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ziplock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect because most people are still using 802.11g hardware and the newer standard is more expensive. Currently, if you want to do it right, N will set you back 200-300 dollars or higher. Sure, you can buy cheaper bargan bin crap, but that is what you are going to get.

$200-300? Maybe a year ago. Things are affordable now. Two great, non-"bargain bin crap" N routers are the Linksys WRT150N ($98 at Amazon) and Airport Extreme ($179).

Quote:

N, in general, has potentially greater instability/compatibility compared to the other standards.

That's just not true. At equivalent ranges, N is far more reliable. (Not to mention it has 3x the maximum range.)

If someone's shelling out the money for a new router, it makes sense to get a router that isn't already obsolete. Otherwise you'll be itching for a new router down the road. If your time is worth any money, N pays for itself quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back