Wireless Over-Ear Headphones with Good Comfort and Isolation
Dec 21, 2016 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rhuleux

New Head-Fier
Hello!

So I have a new iPhone 7 and I'm looking for some good wireless headphones (also to listen on my macbook), however, I am looking for some specific characteristics (by order of preference)

1. best isolation possible, but specifically for voices, as I live in a coop and I really want to be able to cut off the real world and get focused and work, even when the others are talking, playing video-games, listening to some music or watching a movie... I've heard that active isolation, such as the Bose QC 35 are efficient for low and middle sounds, such as in trains and planes, but not really good for voices... So it doesn't have to be active isolation, just good isolation.
2. great comfort as I have to use those a good part of the day, and sometimes the night- over the ear. For example, I have the Sennheiser HD 25 right now and they are clearly painful to use a while (>1h).
3. good sound quality (to put some references: I currently have the Grado SR 1 and the Sennheiser HD 25, and they quite well represent the kind of detailed and wide-stage sound that I like, although I listen mostly streaming Apple Music so the sound quality is limited by this)

Then, but less important:
4. good battery life
5. although it's quite subjective, a good look (I like oldschool like Sennheiser, or neutral like Bose)
6. price, but I am ready to spend 500$ if the headphones are clearly better.

So with those characteristics in mind, I identified some good headphones, on which I would like to have your opinion:

- Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over-Ear 2.0: my preference right now, but I have doubts on the isolation and the comfort, especially compared to the Bose
- Bose QC 35: but I heard the sound is not the best, and when I tried them I was not not "blown out" by them, and I'm not sure they have good isolation for voices.
- Plantronics BackBeat Pro 2: good price, good reviews, but I still wonder how they compare to the Momentum or the Bose in terms of sound, comfort, isolation.
- Bowers&Wilson P7 Wireless
- Sony MDR-1000X or Sony h.ear on MDR-100ABN (I don't really understand the difference)
- Parot Zik 2.0 or 3.0
- V-MODA Crossfade Wireless
- Beat  Solo Wireless 3.0 (for the W1 chip)
- B&O Play H8 (but isolation is bad right?)

Any recommandations? Is there a clear winner in this list? Something I forgot? I didn't mention them but do you think some wireless earbuds could have a better isolation with still some good sound quality?

Thank you for your help!

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 8
  Sony 1000x pretty pricey but awesome headphones. Wireless noise canceling that is actually really good. 

Battery Life is rated at 20 hours. Active noise cancellation is the only way to go if you are looking the best isolation. If you are more inclined to go with Sennheiser, I would say the Momentum 2 Wireless are a bit overpriced. Take a look at the Sennheiser PXC 550.

Dec 22, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #4 of 8
What's the interest of the PXC 550 over the Momentum? I like the look of the Momentum better, but do they have significant differences in sound, isolation, comfort?
Right now I think my choice is being reduced to those: 

Sony MDR 1000x (best isolation and sound, but can only par with one device) vs Sennheiser Momentum Wireless 2.0 (look and potential best sound, but not so good isolation? vs Bose QC 35 (best comfort, good isolation, but sound not so good)

What's your thoughts on this?

Dec 22, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 8
I'm not saying the Sennheiser Momentum sound bad, it's just comfort is not there at all. They are listed as over-ear headphones, but they really they sit inbetween on-ears and over-ears. Small ears should fit fine, but they will touch inside the driver area. Medium to large ears, they're going to be touching the inner rim of the pads or sit on them like on-ears. And if they fit like on-ear headphones... then you will be losing a lot of isolation that would have been there if they did complete go over your ears.

Dec 22, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 8
Thank you a lot! I tried the Bose recently and really, I wasn't impressed by the sound, compared to my cheaper Sennheiser HD 25, so I think I will give a try to the Sony for this one!
A last question: do you know if I can use them while charging on my computer, using the USB port? Or do I have to use either the jack/bluetooth?

Dec 22, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #8 of 8
You can listen to the Sonys' while charging via the 3.5mm jack, but the active noise cancelling won't work.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2016/10/are-sonys-mdr-1000x-wireless-noise-cancelling-headphones-worth-the-money/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back