Wireless Over ear buying advice
Feb 3, 2020 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Paul C

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I really need some advice here, I'm looking to buy some wireless over ear headphones, to be honest I don't actually need ANC, the selling point for me is sound quality, I'll be using them mainly in the house and sometimes when walking the dog (mainly use airpods outside).

I'm finding the choice really overwhelming, most people seem to review wireless headphones on the ANC quality first and sound quality second. My budget is around £230 max.

The ones I've been looking at are:

• B&O H9i
  • B&O H7 (Costco have then for £119 but I've read some negative things on here)
  • B&W PX wireless
  • Sony WH-100XM3 (amazing ANC but heard the sound isn't great)
  • Nursphones (a little out my budget though)
  • Taotronic Soundsurge 46 (as a budget option, yeah yeah I know, haha)

I mainly listen to electronic music like hip hop, but also listen to Zero 7, Odesza, Jamiroquai and other genres so I'd like something with clarity and punch/energy to the sound, I hate muddy sounding headphones.

Does any have any feedback, or thoughts on alternatives?

Feb 3, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #4 of 17
I was on a similar quest as you are. After trying out most of the current BT headphones the choice went down to dali io6. You should really listen to them before buyong anything else. For me, the dynamic punch is there for sure. When i started listening them i also thought they lack a little punch but after some time i realised its there (i dont know how to describe it but it is different than your usual bang but its so good to me). And i find the mids and highs so good. And they are very comfortable and quality built. Just give them a good try before buying anything else. Hope this helps

Feb 4, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #6 of 17
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm going to Richer Sounds to listen to some so I'll see if they have the Dali's for demo.

Out of interest is there is a different in sound between the IO4 and IO6, or is it just one ANC and one doesnt? I can't really find many reviews on them :frowning2:

Feb 4, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #7 of 17
I only tried io6. There is a difference in sound with anc on or off on io6 as there is a difference in all anc headphones when anc is activated. The lows get stronger with anc activated on io6, thefore you can even say they are a bit punchier when using anc. For me they sound very good with anc on and off.

Feb 4, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #8 of 17
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm going to Richer Sounds to listen to some so I'll see if they have the Dali's for demo.

Out of interest is there is a different in sound between the IO4 and IO6, or is it just one ANC and one doesnt? I can't really find many reviews on them :frowning2:

I only listened to the IO-6s but there are, from memory, a few members here who tested both and preferred the IO-6s. Very, very small margins though. There's a good Dali thread on HF full of user experiences. Richer Sounds do stock and dem. the Dalis though not in all their stores.

Feb 5, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #9 of 17
Off to Liverpool today, I'm going to test the below:

Dali IO-6
B&W PX7
Bose NC 700

I'm also really interested in the Nuraphone's as well, all the reviews I've seen on YouTube say they are the best sounding wireless headphones they've tried adn we're truely blown away.

Feb 5, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #10 of 17
I ended up picking up a pair of B&W PX7’s, I tried those and the Dali IO-6, the Dali’s sounded great but the B&W had a little more presence and grunt to the sound, personal preference but I thought the B&W’s suit the listening taste a little more.

Feb 5, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #11 of 17
Thats nice If it works for you. For me the Px7 had a bit too sharp highs and the clamping force was just too bad for my head. But they are not bad at all If you prefer that sound and your head doesnt hurt. :)

Feb 5, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #12 of 17
Thats nice If it works for you. For me the Px7 had a bit too sharp highs and the clamping force was just too bad for my head. But they are not bad at all If you prefer that sound and your head doesnt hurt. :)

i get what you’re saying, they are tighter than the Dali’s but still comfortable for me.

It’s weird because I loved both, i’d still have the Dali’s and love them, but the B&W’s had a little more get up and go, although the Dali’s were nice and neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back