Wireless or corded headphone??
Dec 10, 2008 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

heda_p

New Head-Fier
I am looking for headphone, I am never fond of using headphones since after 20-30 min I started feeling headache, I have used some cheap ones like Phillips SBC-HN-110 (noise cancelling) and in ear ones too where mostly i keep then just little out of the ear so that it doesn't go directly into my ear and create headache.

I have to admit i have no idea about what to choose...though here is what the criteria I have...

Expected Usage:
55% time used for mp3 listening from computer or from my mobile phone or from my sony psp (mobile phone is not that important since i normally use my Bluetooth for that but that’s also I keep shuffling to ears after every 15 min)
35 time listning news from cnn live or such internet news channel from my computer
10% airplane/misc

So mp3 and internet news is most important for me, mostly on computer without dedicated graphics card (motherboard integrated HD audio), I don’t understand nitty-gritty’s of sound quality and I don’t care what I want is a headphone which I can put on my head for longer hours and don’t feel headache... not sure if that something possible with new costly headphones...

I do have Jabra BT620 thats great, bbut i cant manage it for more than 15 min...

I normally like to hear at a very low volume, thus loudness do not affect the decision

Now that was the number one criteria, mhat matters next is wireless capability, preferable Bluetooth/RF (will it leads to some compromises compared to corded ones? how much is that applicable to my requirement?)

I personally like over the ear design (full size, closed headphone), cause I think they gimmi less headache, though its just how I feel may be I am wrong so please suggest…

Not sure about what price range I should be looking at, but I can go upto $400 for this convinience....

Kindly suggest what you think will suit my requirement and why?

Thanks ~ Prakash

Dec 10, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 11
As most of the posters here are into SQ, I believe most here will agree that corded phones are the best, particular as most players have to trans-encode files using SBC codec in order for them play them over A2DP. MP3, AAC, Atrac are optional but I read that many BT headsets are not compatible with them yet.

Ety does have a Bluetooth canalphone model that is apparently good:

Etymotic Research ety8 Bluetooth Earphones Review - MP3 Reviews - TrustedReviews

Dec 10, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 11
I am not worried about sounding superb, what matters is if i can put it on for a while without having a headache...and having it wireless is also not criteria since i already have 1 bluetooth sterio headsets jabra 620 and 2 platronics 520, but that is not convinient...

Dec 10, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 11
Well people has different tolerance to different kind of headphones. I can listen to in-ear all day and it wouldn't affect me, seriously. Some closed-can headphones are comfy, but I find them heavy and uncomfortable after a while. That is why your question is very difficult to answer...

Well, I will leave someone else to answer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #6 of 11
I somehow thought its very question, its just that I donno much dynamics of sound so I am not able to decide...

Well none of the threads here seems talking on this subject, while this is the number one criteria for me, and what i donno is generally what kind of ear phones are better and give less headache....whether better noise reduction aids in lesser headache? or its plainly related to sound quality?

Is there any articles related on these subject...I just coudn't find anything...

Dec 11, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #7 of 11
my answer = experiment for yourself and find what is good for YOU! Seriously audio is such a subjective area that it is the only way you will know what is best for yourself is to try different things out and see how they turn out for you

Dec 12, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my answer = experiment for yourself and find what is good for YOU! Seriously audio is such a subjective area that it is the only way you will know what is best for yourself is to try different things out and see how they turn out for you

OMG you want me to buy all of them and compare which one suits me and then return rest of them.....

Well I am a new user here and this is probably my first post here....I dont think my expectations are met in any way....none of the responses are having any questions all are just trying to close the response in one line...

either there are no experts here or just they dont understand this questions....

Lemme give it a last try since last few days I did read some terms and i have some explicit questions....

I wanna just play MP3 128 -320 bit and online TV channels (i.e. ) from computer ************nothing else*********, no amps, no decoders a simple computer with motherboard hd audio....

I dont wanna play anything else ******underline it again******* no other players no hifi players...just plain simple computer (this mention is very important since most of the advance headsets require hifi stuff to produce better sound)

all I wanna know is what kind of headset is more comfortable whether closed loop/open back/in ear or whatever other misc types are there criteria is just one****** several hours play cause least possible headache ******* remember based on just one criteria music quality, conveniece or any other aspect just dont matter....

Now suppose for example sake say closed loop is better one, then i wanna know if using an amp with computer gonna help in reducing headache further or its just means to improce sound quality (i dont care if doesn't help reducing headache)

Now suppose amp doesn't help then which closed loop model is the best for mp3 or online tv channel listning (now if a $500 headset does some majic and makes my experience way better than thats good, if IF for mp3 or low quality onlive channel sound that not possible then whatever the best headset for this use is all what i am looking at)

I am sorry if It sound little frustrative...but when and if one day you come to SQL server forum i would definately be able to answer in much better questions or atleast if nobody answer a question i do ask the right questions to understand requirement better....

Dec 13, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #9 of 11
You really do have to try them as it is such an individual thing. Just go to a store and try a whole bunch of them on and see what's comfy. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 595s and can leave them on for hours. I'd recommend HD 515 and above for comfort in the Senn range. But seriously you just have to go and try some.

Dec 14, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #10 of 11
I dont think its such an individual thing....and trying to listen for 2 hours in store doesn't make sense either.... it seems you are not getting the question at all....sorry if i sound rude!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menisk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You really do have to try them as it is such an individual thing. Just go to a store and try a whole bunch of them on and see what's comfy. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 595s and can leave them on for hours. I'd recommend HD 515 and above for comfort in the Senn range. But seriously you just have to go and try some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back