wireless lan users???
Jul 26, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #16 of 19
Good tips Alex, took the words out of my mouth!!! Also please, please, please change your default admin login and password for your access points and routers!!!!!

Also WPA is the way to go...unless you want to setup RADIUS or something else. If your access point supports WPA (most new ones do) use that instead of WEP. 64 and the 128 bit variety of WEP both use a 24 bit initialization vector (IV). The dupes of the IV occurs over time, so a heavily used network has a better chance of this or using a technique called packet injection, one is able to "generate" extra traffic on the compromised network. Once you've got dupes of the 24bit IV, then someones gonna be able to crack the key 64bit...128bit...doesn't matter.

another tip, do not give out your passwords to anyone, even for a tasty snack.
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #17 of 19
Jul 26, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #18 of 19
Personally If you are that paranoid but need to go wireless, get a good wireless like the SonicWall TZ170W or even the Watchguard Firebox X15W, with these you can set up a VPN tunnel betweeen your computer and the wireless router. Here is an example from Zyxel: VPN Tunnel The Sonicwall and Watchguard sites have more information if you are intrested. These units cost a lot more than the Linksys or Belkin, and other brands that you can buy off the shelf at Comp USA, but they do a much better job at securing your network, both wired and wireless. Hope this helps.

Jul 26, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #19 of 19
Well, it seems you don't need to go through anything crazy if you use WPA. My old SMC doesn't support it and neither does my wireless PCMCIA card. HAH! Gives me an excuse to go "G".

-Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back