wireless keyboard/mouse recommendations?
Dec 29, 2004 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

remilard

500+ Head-Fier
Well, since I am using the pc as transport 99% of the time and I can't afford to get an uber silent one, its going in the closet. I won't have line of sight obviously, so I need rf and need it to work from about 12 feet with a lightweight closet door in between (I might also hang a rug or something on the closet door). I also want the keyboard and mouse buttons to be quiet. I can go to circuit city, best buy, comp usa but I'm not sure if they would display these so I'm trying to get an idea of which ones are quiet (I'm assuming any rf model would work in my situation but by all means correct me if I'm wrong).

Dec 29, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 12
I recommend the Logitech MX Duo, but I'm not quite sure how it'll perform at that range through a door. You'll probably be OK, but I'd advise finding someone with the MX700 mouse (it's the same one as comes with the MX Duo) and testing for yourself.

Either that, or grab a USB extension cord and run it under the door so you can have the reciever/charging cradle closer and in the line of sight.

Either way, it's an excellent mouse/keyboard combo.

Dec 29, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 12
Helter Skelter beat me to it. I was also going to suggest the MX Duo, though it might be overkill if you're not a gamer. The big draw to that combo is that the mouse is among the most accurate and responsive of all wireless mice available, but if you don't really get into PC games then one of the kits from Microsoft would be fine (or a lower-end Logitech combo). The only thing I don't like about my MX Duo is that the keyboard isn't a split design like my trusty Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro...if you want a split keyboard then check out the Logitech Cordless Comfort Duo.

However, I highly recommend the MX Duo especially if you are into games. The range and responsiveness are among the best I've seen.

edit: Yes, the keys are pretty quiet (kinda like the Dell "QuietKey" keyboards). The MX Duo retails for $99 but I bought mine for around $70 a few months ago. And I've seen them cheaper than that...

Dec 29, 2004 at 4:04 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helter Skelter
I recommend the Logitech MX Duo, but I'm not quite sure how it'll perform at that range through a door. You'll probably be OK, but I'd advise finding someone with the MX700 mouse (it's the same one as comes with the MX Duo) and testing for yourself.

Either that, or grab a USB extension cord and run it under the door so you can have the reciever/charging cradle closer and in the line of sight.

Either way, it's an excellent mouse/keyboard combo.

I'll definately check this one out, it didn't occur to me that I could have the reciever outside of the closet (I know it should have but it didn't). I will need to run a monitor cable, power cable, and toslink cable anyway so I'll do that. Then we would be talking 10 feet with no physical objects in the way, which I'm sure is no problem.

thanks

Dec 29, 2004 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by remilard
I'll definately check this one out, it didn't occur to me that I could have the reciever outside of the closet (I know it should have but it didn't). I will need to run a monitor cable, power cable, and toslink cable anyway so I'll do that. Then we would be talking 10 feet with no physical objects in the way, which I'm sure is no problem.

thanks

It should work fine; I use mine substantial (50') distances; rember that it is Bluetooth.

Dec 29, 2004 at 5:10 AM Post #6 of 12
The MX Duo is NOT Bluetooth. That's the MX900 and the DiNovo combo (which comes with the MX900). It's just straight proprietary RF, which imo is better for a kb/mouse because it's responsiveness, range, and battery life is as not limited as it would be by using Bluetooth.

Anyway, yes, it should work fine. Just remember to put the mose on the charging crade at least every couple days.

Dec 29, 2004 at 5:18 AM Post #7 of 12
I don't know which one to recommend but I know which ones you should avoid and that is any RF type wireless device by Targus. I bought their wireless mouse keypad deal for my laptop and have had nothing but problems with it. The performance is spotty and the battery life sucks. BB wouldn't refund me my $$ but did give me a replacement which happened to be a newer model but the same crap kept happening and now they sit on a bookshelf collecting dust. Just a word of warning

Dec 29, 2004 at 5:29 AM Post #8 of 12
if you have the cash, go for the dinovo desktop. Its just sweet, thats all I will say about it. But otherwise the mxduo is a good choice, and so is the microsoft wireless explorer. I hate microsoft so I would never buy that one, but it is cheeper, and cheeper is always good.

Dec 29, 2004 at 5:36 AM Post #9 of 12
I really want to keep this at $100 and I do need to buy a longer monitor and ethernet cable so the mx duo ($80 at compusa) is the right price. I'll take a look at the cheaper microsoft stuff but I can't find any bad comments or reviews for the mx duo so it is looking pretty good.

Dec 29, 2004 at 7:12 AM Post #11 of 12
I've sat in the closet with my headphones (when it was a bit too noisy in my room) and the signal from the MX Duo keyboard managed to pass through the closet door to the receiver, which was probably a little under 10 feet away. I had already had the set for several months with a good amount of gaming in, so as long as the batteries aren't too weak, it should be fine even with the receiver inside the closet.

Dec 29, 2004 at 7:18 AM Post #12 of 12
Yeah, but opening the closet evey time he wants to put the thing on the charger would probably get kinda obnoxious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back