Wireless Internet problem, please help me out
Aug 8, 2007 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

arnoldsoccer4

500+ Head-Fier
Our home wireless network keeps dropping and it is the most annoying thing. I will be connected to our wireless for about five minutes and then all of the sudden it just stops working. It says I'm still connected but I can't load any pages. It is really making me mad because I have to go upstairs and pull the powerplug out and put it back in to reset it. Can anyone help?

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 27
What network device do you have?

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 27
Had a similar problem in my girlfriends house.
Can you provide us some info? Like internet service, modem brand and model, computers, laptops, anything that is sharing the internet and anything that you might think that can be causing a conflict ...

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 27
What router are you using?

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 27
This is really really common w/ the consumer grade wireless routers. You can try checking for updated firmware, changing the wireless channel or changing what security method your using. The last option is of course to just go and buy a different one and pray it doesn't happen all over again.

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 27
First of all, what router do you have? I had an old Linksys that would die like that - the connection would be solid but there was no traffic either way. Make sure you have the latest firmware.

I'm assuming your actual internet connectivity isn't the issue here, since it comes back when you restart the router but, to be sure, try attaching another device to your wireless network and pinging it (firewalls disabled) to see if data is getting across. If you can ping another device, the internet connection is at fault and not the router.

The easiest thing you can try is changing the channel, especially if it's still on the default value. Another device might be sharing the same channel and causing interference. If you do that, go up or down a few steps, not just one each time.

If you do have a Linksys router, try disabling UPNP. I remember that was the cause of my lockups back in the day.

Best, Paul

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 27
Alright I'll try to tell you, but this is probably my biggest issue, we are using comcast issued stuff, which might be the problem in the first place. There are 2 computers 1 is a lappy (acer) one is a desktop (hp) currently connected, there can be up to 5. Also it seems to not drop as frequently when utorrent is not open. The cable modem and router are in 1 box essentially, the one box serves as both. It is an RCA model DCW725. When I hardwire in I never lose the signal whether utorrent is running or not, so I don't think there is some strange bandwidth cap. Also I have had this problem before we recently moved but also when I lived in San Diego our Netgear router would drop hourly. Its not my laptop though because I was connected and downloading for a full 24 hours on my friend's wireless a day or two ago. Changing channels doesn't work either, same problems

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #8 of 27
The comcast seems to be a bit problematic, as reported before.
Just to clear, is your desktop wired connected to the router? I've seen problem of compatibility of the ethernet card with the router before. So we must consider every option possible ...

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #9 of 27
The desktop is on wireless because it is downstairs, the whole setup is upstairs. My laptop is the only thing that ever hardwires in.

Aug 8, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #11 of 27
Are you already using the last firmware available?
Try splitting your pcs to try to determinate if one of them is responsable to the problem. Use the laptop only (with the desktop turned off) and check if the connection fails. Do the same with the desktop. Disconnect any ethernet cable from them. Are the wireless cards using the latest drivers also ... ?

Aug 8, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #12 of 27
Yep, make sure you have the latest firmware patch. Make sure your dhcp lease isn't set to expire quickly (like hourly) make it a day. Turn off any 2.8G wireless phones or uwave ovens - they use the same freq and can conflict. Make sure you've turned on security so that no one is goofing w/ you. If you see other waps, try several channels. Give the router a 'hard reset' - usually a reset button that must be pressed with a pencil, hold it down for 30 seconds, not just a quick push.

Aug 9, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #13 of 27
Next time you lose connectivity trying pinging your router. If you get a response try pinging an ip address like 69.147.114.210 (www.yahoo.com).

Aug 9, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #14 of 27
I can't find any firmware for the router I have, should I email comcast and ask them where to find it? When I search for my router's firmware google only comes back with wii pages.

Aug 9, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #15 of 27
We had the same problem a while ago. We tried everything to our knowledge but nothing worked. We got so tired of it we just bought a new router, apple router, and it has't failed since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back