Wireless IEM Question
Feb 9, 2022 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

AudioDwebe

Headphoneus Supremus
With a wireless IEM, does the quality of the source make much difference? Example: Is there much difference in sound quality whether you're using your phone to stream Qobuz or a mega-thousand dollar DAP streaming Qobuz?

Or are you limited pretty much by how good the receiver is on the IEM, or the adaptor (if you're connecting a non-wireless making it wireless)?

Thanks in advance.

Feb 14, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 2
Hi! The answer to your question depends heavily on the bluetooth codec(s) that your phone/media player supports. For example, iPhones only support AAC, while Androids support SBC and often other codecs and well.
SBC is absolutely hot garbage (in my experience and a lot of other people's). No matter what u play through it, its gonna sound mehhh. AAC, apples's codec, is...ok. With it, u can prolly hear the difference between a song played on youtube vs "high quality" setting on spotify, apple music, etc... However, AAC straight up cannot playback audio in lossless 44.1hz FLAC or anything better. LDAC and aptxHD are pretty much the only codecs that are actually of good quality. In my humble opinion and experience, wireless audio (aside from ladac and aptxhd, which really arent widely supported), is just not on par with wired audio yet. To drive home my point, my $25 final e500's driven by apple's $9 dongle sound sound more resolving and detailed than my apple airpod pros.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back