Wireless headphones/hearphones - what to do?
Apr 28, 2016 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Alfonsomac

New Head-Fier
Hi guys!

I need a new pair of headphones because i've lost my Apple ones.
Since i'm going to buy the next iPhone in September, which will be jack-less, i would like to consider a wireless pair.
I don't have great claims, i only desire good quality and a good (maybe great) battery life.
Range: 100-150 $.

P.S. Considering the jack-less devices trend, is it legit to expect a massive production of wireless headphones?

Thank u :)

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #2 of 7

P.S. Considering the jack-less devices trend, is it legit to expect a massive production of wireless headphones?

Just because it won't have a 3.5mm jack doesn't mean it can't use wired headphones. USB Type C can be the new audio standard - as it is now there are pins on them that aren't being utilized, so they can be relegated to the 3pins for audio. What that means is that any headphone with a replaceable cable can work, you just need to buy a cable with a Type-C plug instead of TRS.

You don't even need to worry about charging and listening not being possible at the same time considering wireless charging (unless Apple still doesn't know this is a thing).

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #3 of 7

Just because it won't have a 3.5mm jack doesn't mean it can't use wired headphones. USB Type C can be the new audio standard - as it is now there are pins on them that aren't being utilized, so they can be relegated to the 3pins for audio. What that means is that any headphone with a replaceable cable can work, you just need to buy a cable with a Type-C plug instead of TRS.

You don't even need to worry about charging and listening not being possible at the same time considering wireless charging (unless Apple still doesn't know this is a thing).

Yeah, i know that. It's very likely that Apple will introduce new wired lightning headphones; but in my opinion, they also want to encourage to use a wireless pair.
And that's fine with me, i mean i already wanted a wireless headphones for daily use before that jack-less rumors.

But i really don't know what to buy, it seems (for what i've seen) that a lot of major brands are not so interested in that type of headphones.
Phiaton BT 220 NC looks a good product but i don't know if there are better choices.

Apr 29, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 7

But i really don't know what to buy, it seems (for what i've seen) that a lot of major brands are not so interested in that type of headphones.
Phiaton BT 220 NC looks a good product but i don't know if there are better choices.

The thing is the design will require a lot of compromises that at minimum would be no better than the phone driving them for added cost (plus more things that might break during the warranty period), battery replacements, etc, just to eliminate the cable. And not a lot of people are willing to charge them both until wireless charging is easily available.

May 2, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #5 of 7

The thing is the design will require a lot of compromises that at minimum would be no better than the phone driving them for added cost (plus more things that might break during the warranty period), battery replacements, etc, just to eliminate the cable. And not a lot of people are willing to charge them both until wireless charging is easily available.

It's true what u say about design and compromises. 
But, for example, an hybrid solution may be a good thing to do.
I mean, there's some over ear headphone that is both wireless and wired. It may be useful to bring the cable with you, so you don't have any battery issues.
But i don't know if there's any hybrid in ear headphones.

May 2, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 7
Bluetooth is not very practical for IEMs since you have to build in a wireless receiver, DAC, amplifier, and battery. Much more room to build that in full sized headphones with less need for ultra miniaturization.

May 3, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonsomac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's true what u say about design and compromises. 
But, for example, an hybrid solution may be a good thing to do.
I mean, there's some over ear headphone that is both wireless and wired. It may be useful to bring the cable with you, so you don't have any battery issues.

Yes that's possible, but for the better brands the cost of producing a better headphone with at least decent ergonomics (for most heads) is just about level with wireless models from other brands. Just look at the price of the MDR-1 wired vs BT version. If you're looking for quality that's the cheapest, and even the wired version is beyond the price range you stated, and the BT version is another $150.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonsomac /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But i don't know if there's any hybrid in ear headphones.

It's impractical as far as marketing is concerned because where do you mount the BT unit? The BT systems have a BT receiver+amp at each earpice, and they use a neckband.

That said you can make your own. Buy a cheap BT receiver with a headphone amp output (ie it uses a hybrid DAC+HPamp chip, kind of like what a smartphone has, vs a DAC with plain line out) small enough to clip to your collar, and then use a custom-length short cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back