wireless headphones for computer audio
Aug 5, 2002 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

chumpytown

New Head-Fier
I am definitely young boy when it comes to audio equipment. This board came highly recommended so I was wondeirng if yall could help me out. I thought a new wireless headphone setup would be pretty cool with my computer. I've tried to do my research but I really don't know what's the lowdown on some of these. Mainly I'm seeing:

- Sennheiser RS-65 ($190): The best wireless according to HeadRoom (www.headphone.com)
- Amphony Model 1000 ($130): Supposedly 2.4 is much better than 900?
- Sony MDR-RF975RK ($150): I can't find any reviews about this, but the noise reduction seems hot)

My concerns are:

- Wireless headphones are supposedly nowhere as good as wired?
- Will higher priced headphones make that much of a difference given that this will be computer produced sound?

Thanks for the help!

Aug 5, 2002 at 5:35 AM Post #2 of 3
My friend has RS-65 and they are good for wireless but not so great compared to higher end wired stuff. His main problem is reception. In his house it isn't so hot, but other people on this forum have loved the RS-65s so I guess it all depends on your living space. What kind of sound card do you have. If it is a decent one, you can definitely hear a difference (a good one) with good headphones. I have another friend that has a Live on his PC and there is a world of difference between normal headphones and his HD-580s.

Aug 5, 2002 at 7:38 AM Post #3 of 3
The Sennheiser and Sony wireless headphones are, how can I put this... bad
wink.gif

The Amphony are actually quite good, especially considering the price. Much better than any of the models I've heard from Sennheiser or Sony. HeadRoom's comments about the Senn being the best for wireless are out of date: they haven't edited those ratings since they started carrying the Amphony or Freespan systems.

The other one to consider is the Freespan model, but it's almost $300, which may be out of your price range. The upside to the Freespan model is that since it uses IR instead of RF, you don't get any interference. The downside is that IR is line-of-sight, but that may not be a problem for you since this is for use with a computer.

To answer your other question, yes, the sound of wireless headphones is inferior, noticeably so, to good wired headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back