Wireless headphones for bedtime television
May 16, 2020 at 12:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Taz777

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for recommendations for basic but comfortable headphones for bedtime TV listening. Ultimate High Fidelity isn't really top of my list as my TV only supports Bluetooth 5.0 with apt-X for wireless audio, and I'll only be streaming Netflix shows.

My priority is comfort whilst laying in bed, and a reasonable battery life. Budget would be up to about 300 USD, but a lot less if possible.

May 16, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 6
I think the Sony WH-1000XM3’s are very comfortable headphones and rated at 30 hours on a charge so pretty good on battery life.

Jul 10, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #3 of 6
I thought I'd update this thread in case anyone is in the market for a simple pair of Bluetooth headphones for watching TV/Netflix in bed. I've just got a pair of Status BT One headphones at a great price direct from the Status website. They are remarkably lightweight and you almost don't notice them on your head after a short time. They are on-ears so probably not great for everyone.

The sound quality belies their affordable price. It's a nice full, rich sound with a decent dynamic range and very clear sound quality. They connected with my LG TV straight away and I can now enjoy Netflix at night without disturbing others.

They support Bluetooth 5.0 and aptX. Wireless range is very good and they charge quite quickly using USB-C. They are no-frills headphones so exactly what I was looking for. There is no active noise cancellation, just great sound from a good-looking set of headphones. I bought the umber coloured ones (like a brown-orange colour) so they look quite striking.

They are foldable and come with a USB-C charging cable, single-ended 3.5mm jack audio cable (for converting them to wired headphones) and a simple semi-hard case. They are closed back and the earcups are made of a fake leather, so you may get sweaty ears after prolonged use. The earcups don't stick out very much and the outer cover is made of metal. Most of the headset is made of plastic.

I highly recommend them if you want a no-frills set of BT headphones for TV watching. Battery life is quoted at 30 hours but I don't know what it is in reality yet.

VOAOAlZ.jpg

gYSGONm.jpg

NPlXAHx.jpg

7p90YZp.jpg

xDzAP7Y.jpg

oAZqIrF.jpg

F1llsAI.jpg

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks Taz! How snug are they on the ears? I'm considering a pair for my wife, who hates over-ears that are tight.

These are not tight at all! They remind me of my beyerdynamic T51i on-ears which are also a very relaxed fit. I can move my head in various directions with some vigour and the pads don't shift on my ears at all although there is some mechanical noise from the various pivot points on the cups and headband if you move your head too quickly. So you could wear them around the house, doing normal household chores. They will come loose if you go upside down or shake your head very quickly!

I don't feel the earcups pressing tightly on my ears. It's a light clamping force which you get used to after several minutes. Bear in mind my comments about sweaty ears after prolonged use. Your ears will warm up. That's just the nature of non-breathable earpads and a closed design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back