Wireless Headphone DIY, Kinda
Aug 2, 2005 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

nitsujH

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a somewhat inexpensive way to listen to my mp3 player when I skateboard(15gig harddrive players and excessive movement don't react the best). I was thinking about getting these http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....rod_id=1180248, but I don't want to use the headphones that come with the system. Is it possable to hack open the headphones, and wire in a headphone jack to plug my own headphones into. The old headphones would be just used as a reciever and kept in my pocket. Will this actualy work or is it just a waste of my time?

*EDIT* I forgot to mention that the transmitter and the mp3 player will be in my car while I'm outside.

Aug 2, 2005 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 10
If your headphones have a similar impedance / efficiency then that will definatly work. If not it may still work.

Aug 3, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #3 of 10
Alright, well I ordered the phones from Overstock.com but I need to order an output jack for this thing. Any ideas where I can get one and not pay $5+ in shipping for a $1 or $2 item?

Aug 3, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #5 of 10
A cheap flash player might sound better and be easier.

Those headphones say the range is only 100ft in an open area. My experience is range is often overestimated. Your car is going to need to be pretty close. S/N and frequency response are pretty bad too.

Aug 3, 2005 at 5:55 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrawn86
you can get various assorted jacks from ratshack though, but they're more expensive (even the cheap ones) than the online vendors

The local ratshack here closed.
frown.gif
just out of the blue one day it was gone. The closest one is 30 minutes or so away, so the gas might cost me more to go drive up there to get it than have it delivered...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
A cheap flash player might sound better and be easier.

I'm not really worried about sound quality for this, I'm only really looking for a cheap way to occupy my brain while I'm skating. The phones were only $21 shipped too..so if it doesn't work out, then I havn't sunk too much into this project.

Aug 4, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nitsujH
The old headphones would be just used as a reciever and kept in my pocket.

Although the only time I catch air now is on a snowboard, it wasn't all that long ago when I was skating. I would take the headphones apart and put the receiver in a small plastic enclosure, which could then be put more easily in your pocket. PacTec samples...
rs1smile.gif

Bryan

Aug 9, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #8 of 10
I just got the phones in the mail today and I opened them up to take a look at them before I went to work, and wow, these things don't look like $60 headphones, even if they are wireless. The enclosures are cheaply constructed and the transmitter feels like junk. Deffinatly not worth $60, good thing I only paid $20.99 shipped
biggrin.gif

Anyway, do I want to solder the pos and neg wires from the left channel to the left pin and vice versa for the right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryman79
Although the only time I catch air now is on a snowboard, it wasn't all that long ago when I was skating. I would take the headphones apart and put the receiver in a small plastic enclosure, which could then be put more easily in your pocket. PacTec samples...
rs1smile.gif

Bryan

I'm thinking thats a good idea, the transmitter and the batteries are both on different sides of the phones, so I'd rather not have both sides in my pocket.

*EDIT* I was just thinking about power, the transmitter runs off of 12V DC, is there a way I could wire some batteries into this thing? Or would I be able to find a cigarette adaptor to pull power from my car?

Aug 9, 2005 at 6:25 AM Post #9 of 10
Using the car battery would be easiest, but the voltage might be a tad high. With the car off dirty power shouldn't be a problem. The transmitter shouldn't draw much power so draining your battery shouldn't be a problem. Some cigarette lighters turn off with the car. If yours does find a nonswitched line to power the transmitter.

Aug 9, 2005 at 6:39 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
Using the car battery would be easiest, but the voltage might be a tad high. With the car off dirty power shouldn't be a problem. The transmitter shouldn't draw much power so draining your battery shouldn't be a problem. Some cigarette lighters turn off with the car. If yours does find a nonswitched line to power the transmitter.

Mine stays on, at least it does with my cell phone charger. So where's a good place to buy one of these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back