Wireless earbuds (or headphones) with good real-world call quality? Sick of Jabra Elite 75t
Dec 29, 2022 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

topperdoggle

Head-Fier
I've had the Jabra 75ts for probably a couple of years, and they're fine for music but they suck for calls whenever I'm not in a quiet environment (and when I am I generally don't use earbuds for calls!). I can be walking down the street, it doesn't even have to be insanely noisy outside, whether traffic or wind, at the end of the day people don't hear me properly far too much of the time and life is too short. It's funny reading on the web, many people share my experience but in reviews they are often portrayed as being good for calls.

And yet, I see people all around in my urban environment chatting away (loudly and annoyingly) on earbuds with apparently not a care in the world. So the Jabras are going on Ebay and I'll try my luck with something else.

I am a music fan so sound quality is important, but I have tinnitus so volume is moderated and I see my earbuds as more of a practical convenience where call quality is important, rather than having to have the very best sound quality. FWIW I found the Jabras listenable enough, detailed enough without being fatiguing, and I'm willing to believe that anything I can buy in 2022 will satisfy.

The Sony LinkBuds S seem to be well-rated, and I was about to pull the trigger but then I also saw the 1more Comfobuds Pro and Evo which seem to get decent reviews, and I have heard rumours that no earbuds provide acceptable call quality on the go in urban environments (which makes it extra-strange that I see people chatting on them walking down the street all the time).

So would I get a significant improvement in call quality by going to headphones? If so, I would probably splash out on BOSE, just because I have heard that the Sony WH-1000s are also crap for calls on the go. I like the convenience of the earbud form factor, then again I'm more likely to lose them (on my second Jabra case).

What else, ANC isn't a big deal for me even though I fly a fair bit - I have noticed with tinnitus it's actually sometimes unpleasant to have absolute silence, and with the Jabras I felt just having them in my ears provided good passive isolation, turning on the ANC felt like a gimmick.

Sources are my OnePlus Nord and Linux Thinkpad, I would prefer not to buy into the Apple ecosystem, budget is as reasonably high as it needs to be to finally have a decent call experience. Should I go for LinkBuds S or Comfobuds Pro or Evo, or something else? Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #2 of 9
It looks like RTINGS' Noise Handling link is something that may help you. I do not know how well this test transfers into practice.

I also recommend YT channel El Jefe Reviews where in every TWS/wireless headphones review there are examples of call quality with simulated crowd noise.

Dec 30, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 9
In the end I bought the 1More Comfobuds Pro from Amazon, and they can have them straight back. Before I even got to call quality, the sound quality was frankly pathetic; I know it's subjective but compared to the 75ts they lacked detail, separation, punch, you name it. I can't believe all the reviews saying how good they sound. I know they're cheaper so maybe I expected too much, but for that price wired ChiFi IEMs would crap all over the 1Mores. Suddenly I wanted to hug the Jabras. Can't see myself listening to music on Comfobuds for hundreds of hours over the next couple of years. Going to try the Linkbuds S.

Jan 4, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #4 of 9
Sony linkbuds s is not usable if there noise around you. Tbh both the linkbuds s and the xm4 is horrible. People can not hear me at my work of there is noise nearby.

Of course this depends on tour voice, i have a very dark and deep voice.

Jan 4, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #5 of 9
The best ones I have used that's up to the task is Huawei Freebuds Pro 2( spectacular for calls). Bose Quiet comfort 1 and 2 earbuds is also good.

Jan 4, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #6 of 9
Sony linkbuds s is not usable if there noise around you. Tbh both the linkbuds s and the xm4 is horrible. People can not hear me at my work of there is noise nearby.

Of course this depends on tour voice, i have a very dark and deep voice.

I guess it's horses for courses, because a couple of days in and the Linkbuds S seem great. I can walk down a busy road and speak and people hear me well and don't hear the cars. I like the sound too, not too exciting but nice and balanced and I can't see myself getting sick of them. Great software too. Well done Sony.

Jan 4, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #7 of 9
I guess it's horses for courses, because a couple of days in and the Linkbuds S seem great. I can walk down a busy road and speak and people hear me well and don't hear the cars. I like the sound too, not too exciting but nice and balanced and I can't see myself getting sick of them. Great software too. Well done Sony.
I'm quite happy with mine for the sound, I use them at the gym. And there it's silent enough to make a sudden call.

My Standard is building worksite, so roads and normal places is less intrusive👍

Jan 4, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #8 of 9
I did us the EQ to make the treble more forward, Sony has great software for sure. they work flawlessly for everything else than the microphone.

Jan 4, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #9 of 9
I still used wired with in-line mic since I don't expect TWS mic to get up to that quality since the mic is placed near the ear, not in the FOV of the voice. I would go with something wireless with in-line mic to get the best voice quality, but it will not be TWS. Like for example, beats flex would have much better mic placement.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back