Wireless cans!
Sep 20, 2003 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

KnightRT

New Head-Fier
Advent AW770

Koss JR50

So, I'm trying to find a decent pair of wireless headphones in the $50-$75 range. This has proven somewhat difficult.

Most models A) look staggeringly uncomfortable, and/or B) have horrible tuning problems. Sound quality isn't an issue here, they'd be for TV use. Primarily I'm looking for something that will 'just work' late at night after I've configured it.

Have any of you experience with this? Are there any products I'm totally missing? Google can't find me a review of the Koss cans, and lord knows if Google can't, it probably doesn't exist. So I'm a little iffy about those. The Advent's seem alright, but.. yeah.

Sep 20, 2003 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 10
they need to make a pair of wireless cans that use 802.11b/g and tune into a local shoutcast stream of what you wanna hear...320 kbit mp3 straight to a headphone = better than analog signal.

Sep 20, 2003 at 11:58 PM Post #4 of 10
Unlike any other form of wireless transmission where a broken stream can be resumed with minimal impact to the result of the data transmitted, getting a steady signal with no pops clicks or bangs is very difficult even with the best RF wireless sets. While they seem a technically feasible idea, the results are usually terrible. If you must buy wireless, buy Infrared. Most rf sets retail forthe same cost as mid to high-priced corded phones but the soun quality is usually even worse than an airlines disposable headset. Believe me, I've even tried some of the most expensive sets (not the uber-expensive Sennheisers) and was disappointed rather badly.

Sep 21, 2003 at 12:26 AM Post #5 of 10
FWIW, I tried the Senns and they sucked bad. Every time I moved, snap crackle pop. And when our phone rang or was in use, the headphones quit altogether. I'd avoid the 900 Mhz variety.

Sep 21, 2003 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 10
I've tried the 2.4Ghz variety. Living in an apartment building these were crap. With probably a 100 wireless phones microwaves and other sources of RF continiously running somewhere or the other these were completely useless. Just completely avoid RF. The problem is that besides the interference the 900Mhz phones don't have adequate bandwidth for good sound quality while although the 2.4 Ghz phones have adequate bandwidth on paper, they still suck big time. I've been suckered into buying these with promise of free mobility. Boy, did my butt hurt after being screwed like that!
mad.gif

Sep 21, 2003 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by raynegus
FWIW, I tried the Senns and they sucked bad. Every time I moved, snap crackle pop. And when our phone rang or was in use, the headphones quit altogether. I'd avoid the 900 Mhz variety.

BTW were these the RS-65/85s or the $2K HD-590s with a wireless adaptor?

Sep 22, 2003 at 4:31 AM Post #8 of 10
That bad, eh? Well that's no fun.

I wonder what the IR cans go for...

If Google charged for the searching, I'd owe enough to buy the CEO a nice set of fishing rods. And a lake.

Sep 22, 2003 at 6:52 PM Post #9 of 10
I used to use Senn RS-80s quite a bit and still own a couple of them. They sound better than any other wireless alternatives I've heard other than the Pioneer DH system. They're certainly good enough for casual late night TV use.

Sep 25, 2003 at 2:39 PM Post #10 of 10
Hello,

Most of the guys on this site will tell you that there are NO wireless answers to Hi Fidelity. I was looking for some kind of wireless unit that would allow me to plug my choice of headphones into it (my choice being an in-ear set of Etymotics).

However, I stumbled on to a Jensen Linx wireless set up that retails for $65. . I got it on Ebay for $28 new and delivered. I figured for that much money it can't be any worse than my bulky Sonys that fall off of my head,, have major interference,etc. .

Yes, I want Hi Fidelity. . . but sometimes I just want the freedom of wireless and am willing to give up some of the Fidelity.

I can't tell you how impressed I am with this $30 purchase. A little transmitter box plugs into my Tape Out of the stereo and then I attach a small receiver to my belt, plug my headphones into the jack and I'm set. I can walk all over my house with NO drop outs and interference. It even works if I go out in my backyard. My wireless Sonys would never allow that kind of distance. I'm sure my satisfaction is so great because my expectations were so low. BUT. . . I love this little contraption and would recommend it to anyone.

Hope it works for you 2,
Daniel
dbulll@austin.rr.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back