Wireless Adapter for SA6
Oct 15, 2008 at 10:34 AM Post #152 of 254
Quote:

Originally Posted by drmcworm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't recall people noticing such noise during the Can Jam on the pre-production unit. I hope it's an unfortunate unit.

It was also quite loud in that room. The buzzing noise is not that loud.

Oct 15, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #154 of 254
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my W-1 Wireless adapter today. Charged it up finally and am listening to it right now.

Initial impression is extreme disappointment. The W-1 has a high amount of noise. It has an annoying high pitched buzzing noise that comes and goes, it seems prone to grounding problems and interference. It does not work well at all with any computer headphone output and it even has ground loop buzzing with my HeadAmp Pico, which I have yet to have anything else have buzzing with. If I touch the sides of the case of the W-1 transmitter, it buzzes louder.

If I'm listening to loud music, it's not noticeable, but with quiet music, it's very annoying.

The high noise floor is unacceptable to me, especially when it's solely used with sensitive IEM's like the SA6. But the noise is loud enough that if I were to mod this W-1 to be able to use with other IEM's it would still be annoying since the SA6 is not nearly as effecient as some other IEM's out there like the Shure E500/SE530.

So what gives? Did I get a defective version? Or is the built in amplifier in the W-1 just that noisy?

-Ed

Woah!! Just shows you, you can't take anything for granted huh? Something looks perfect, a concept well implemented and then your relative naievity is breached when a totally unforseen shortcoming comes to light as with the noise floor/buzzing that you're reporting ED.
Fingers off the trigger for me now. Look forward to more reports and impressions and for feedback form Sleek about this buzzing.

EDIT: Just realised tht I was taken to last unread post and didn't see that the thread had progressed a few pages past that!

EDIT: Post content really still stands after reading rest of thread to date. Look forward to Jason's explortion into the problem.

Oct 15, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #155 of 254
Update:

I tried removing the included iPhone adapter cable and putting the W-1 directly onto the headphone out jack of my iPod. With some maneuvering I was able to get the W-1 onto my Headsix without using any extension cable. The high pitch noise gone.

However, the white noise that I hear when W-1 is turned on is still there. It's not as noticeable when music plays, but it's definitely there.

Oct 15, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #156 of 254
I just talked to JasonK on the phone. He thinks it's likely a problem with the Transmitter Unit. He's sending me a new one, and I'm sending mine back for him to take it apart and test it out.

Thanks so much, Jason. Was great talking to you again.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Ed

Oct 15, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #157 of 254
Oh, one more thing. Jason clarified a feature for me.

The tiny little power switch is not intended to be used as the sole power switch. It was only really there to keep it off in transit. Holding the power buttons will turn off the units completely. Or after a few hours, it will completely turn off on it's own. That's a great feature, because I often forget to turn things off.

-Ed

Oct 15, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #158 of 254
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just talked to JasonK on the phone. He thinks it's likely a problem with the Transmitter Unit.

I really hope so. I'd like to think Sleek would've encountered a problem like yours during the testing phase if it was due to a universal design flaw...

Oct 15, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #159 of 254
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really hope so. I'd like to think Sleek would've encountered a problem like yours during the testing phase if it was due to a universal design flaw...

Yeah, hopefully it's just a fluke, and I'm just very lucky, uh unlucky.
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #160 of 254
Hello , i had just recieved the bundled W1

I get the same white noise issue on less then load songs. ill probably wont RMA it till i know for sure there is a solution.

I use the Zune pass songs which are 192k bit rate songs i believe.I dont use any amps though.

Oct 16, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #161 of 254
Quote:

Originally Posted by ss64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello , i had just recieved the bundled W1

I get the same white noise issue on less then load songs. ill probably wont RMA it till i know for sure there is a solution.

I use the Zune pass songs which are 192k bit rate songs i believe.I dont use any amps though.

Godamnit, even you as well?
frown.gif

Oct 16, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #162 of 254
As with any wireless system there will be a small amount of white noise if the volume is all the way down. This is similar to many amps I have tested including some very expensive tube amps and desktop amps that have tested.

The noise Ed was hearing was a high frequency whine. The same one that people with the iPhone 3g have complained about they can hear in their car with the wifi turned on. He was able to move the transmitter and change sources to get ride of this and that leads me to believe the transmitter is the issue.

The sound quality is no comparison to Bluetooth or other wireless systems. We have a 95dB dynamic range and full lossless sound processing, Bluetooth is a 75dB range the same is an FM radio.

I will be at the meet in Florida and plan on sending out units to some other head-fiers. I know that people will be pleased with what we have produced. After all, every Kleer product is interoperable and we all use the same transmitter system. The difference is the headphones and name on the outside.

To the new head-fier whose first post was a bad experiance, please PM me and I will be happy to call and discuss the issues you have had. I have a very open door and love having the chance to discuss our product with fellow audiophiles.

Jason

Oct 16, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #163 of 254
Just send me one of the defective ones at least to have a flavor of what is going on....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back