Wireless Adapter for SA6
Oct 13, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #136 of 254
I have a USB adapter that pumps out 1A 5V... I wonder how that will perform?

Oct 13, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #137 of 254
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulpix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a USB adapter that pumps out 1A 5V... I wonder how that will perform?

If I'm not mistaken, that typically just makes things charge a bit faster. The 5V is the important spec here.

Oct 13, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #138 of 254
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I'm not mistaken, that typically just makes things charge a bit faster. The 5V is the important spec here.

Anything 1.5A and lower should be OK, I'd be wary of anything higher. But it depends on the specs. To be safe I'd stick with the USB spec, which is 500mA.

Either way, charging at 500mA will be less stressful on the batteries and they will last longer.

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #139 of 254
Just got my W-1 Wireless adapter today. Charged it up finally and am listening to it right now.

Initial impression is extreme disappointment. The W-1 has a high amount of noise. It has an annoying high pitched buzzing noise that comes and goes, it seems prone to grounding problems and interference. It does not work well at all with any computer headphone output and it even has ground loop buzzing with my HeadAmp Pico, which I have yet to have anything else have buzzing with. If I touch the sides of the case of the W-1 transmitter, it buzzes louder.

If I'm listening to loud music, it's not noticeable, but with quiet music, it's very annoying.

The high noise floor is unacceptable to me, especially when it's solely used with sensitive IEM's like the SA6. But the noise is loud enough that if I were to mod this W-1 to be able to use with other IEM's it would still be annoying since the SA6 is not nearly as effecient as some other IEM's out there like the Shure E500/SE530.

So what gives? Did I get a defective version? Or is the built in amplifier in the W-1 just that noisy?

-Ed

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #140 of 254
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my W-1 Wireless adapter today. Charged it up finally and am listening to it right now.

Initial impression is extreme disappointment. The W-1 has a high amount of noise. It has an annoying high pitched buzzing noise that comes and goes, it seems prone to grounding problems and interference. It does not work well at all with any computer headphone output and it even has ground loop buzzing with my HeadAmp Pico, which I have yet to have anything else have buzzing with. If I touch the sides of the case of the W-1 transmitter, it buzzes louder.

If I'm listening to loud music, it's not noticeable, but with quiet music, it's very annoying.

The high noise floor is unacceptable to me, especially when it's solely used with sensitive IEM's like the SA6. But the noise is loud enough that if I were to mod this W-1 to be able to use with other IEM's it would still be annoying since the SA6 is not nearly as effecient as some other IEM's out there like the Shure E500/SE530.

So what gives? Did I get a defective version? Or is the built in amplifier in the W-1 just that noisy?

-Ed

Oh man, you are making me regret mypurchase...
frown.gif
That high pitched noise thing also exists on badly made bluetooth audio headsets. Also, what is your other source?

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #141 of 254
Quote:

-Ed

The high pitch noise is there with my 5th gen iPod, but absent on my iPhone. I still haven't figured out what's the deal. The high pitch noise is still there even using a LOD to my Headsix.

Oct 15, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #143 of 254
Quote:

Originally Posted by tensaichen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The high pitch noise is there with my 5th gen iPod, but absent on my iPhone. I still haven't figured out what's the deal. The high pitch noise is still there even using a LOD to my Headsix.

I found it helps to power up both pieces at the same time (hold both buttons until they turn on, you'll hear it), and then plug the Transmitter into the headphone jack. But it's kind of random. Either way, there is a soft high pitched buzz, and then there's a louder one. The soft one is always there, plugged in or not.

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #144 of 254
Ed,

You have me curious; there will be a small amount of noise when it is not plugged into anything or the signal is very weak, and we did increase the amp strength to give it a little more punch in the lows.

You should not have that much noise. When the unit is off, hold both buttons for 7 - 9 seconds you will see the lights flash rapidly and the two units will reconnect. This is also how you can get 4 receivers to listen to 1 transmitter signal. This will also change the frequency it is broadcasting on.

Let me know if this changes anything or better yet call me at the office. I would be very interested to talk with you about this as I know you have "trained" ears.

The transmitter does act like a preamp if you over drive it i.e. using an amp and driving it to hard it will boost the gain but eventually will get distorted. The same is true for computers, as most sound like garbage until you adjust the wave volume down and use just the volume control.

I want to make sure we have your problem locked down. Also, let me know what treble tip and bass port combo you are using so I know what your frequency response is. If your + port is modded let me know that so I can estimate the effects that has on other frequencies.

Jason

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #145 of 254
Pressing both buttons for a few seconds until it starts flashing rapidly and quickly letting go helps. (I can hear it switch channels). It's weird. Some channels the left side will have louder noise, and then others will have louder noise on the right side.

But as soon as I plug it in or it goes to sleep and then turns back on, the noise is back.

My SA6 has + Treble and + Bass.

-Ed

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #146 of 254
A few other observations:

It is so awesome to be able to walk around so freely listening to music. If you adjust the wires a little shorter to hug the base of your skull, it doesn't flop around and is very very comfortable. I was working on my computer a bit, crawling around the back on the ground, all the while listening to music. Aside from the high noise floor, the sound is clear, doesn't break up, and sounds pretty much like the wired version. It's warmer and a little bit congested compared to wired connection. The little bit of etra bass is perfect. Those wanting a ++Bass port should just get the W-1 Adapter. The wireless range is incredible. It breaks up for a split second when I go my farthest closet and close the door, then it's prefectly fine.

A note about the power switches. Difficult to access, they are behind the power port cover. You have open it up and use a pen tip or paperclip to move the switch. I would've prefered a more easily accessible switch, where it was recessed but still accessible with a fingernail. Now if the W-1 were weather sealed, that would be another story.

The Charging ports are NOT mini USB as I had previously thought. They are that new Micro USB connector or a proprietary connector. Not the older one, the wider one that cell phone manufacturers are starting to use. I really would've preferred the older Mini USB connector, as it's not really any smaller, same width, but thinner. Doesn't buy enough size decrease IMO. If it is proprietary, I could see that it's so, because the current requirement is listed as 200mA on both the Transmitter and Receiver units. But that's if the dual charging cable even splits the current in half. That would leave just enough from the voltage drop.

So, the W-1 does not come with an AC Adapter Charger, just the dual charging cable. Any USB port, or USB Charger will work. I used a Blackberry charger, which happens to have a USB port on it and outputs 500mA current.

-Ed

Oct 15, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #147 of 254
Quote:

Pressing both buttons for a few seconds until it starts flashing rapidly and quickly letting go helps. (I can hear it switch channels). It's weird. Some channels the left side will have louder noise, and then others will have louder noise on the right side.

But as soon as I plug it in or it goes to sleep and then turns back on, the noise is back.

Wow, this is terrible news for the W-1 so far...
frown.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #148 of 254
I've been experimenting a little. I used an Ultimate Ears attenuator adapter and it removed most if not all the higher pitched buzzing. The rest is just typical white noise hissing. Granted this solution only works for use with higher powered amps. I had to crank my HeadAmp Pico up to 12 to 2 O'Clock positions on High Gain.

It could be that it is getting some sort of interference or ground loop from my HeadAmp Pico. I'm going to try with some other sources. I have an old Panasonic Portable CD Player and an iRiver iHP-120. I'll try some other combinations. I wouldn't write off the W-1 just yet. It's just too cool to dismiss. I must also stress that I'm weird. I can and will find any bug or problem with just about anything out of sheer dumb luck. So, my experience might not be the same as others.
tongue.gif

-Ed

Oct 15, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #149 of 254
Tried it with my Sony PSP. A bit of an awkward fit for the Transmitter, but it fits without the iPhone type jumper wire.

No high pitched buzzing. Just the white noise. Much better in this case. But I think my celebration is short lived as the Transmitter went to sleep and then after I pressed the button to wake it up, the high pitched buzzing is back.
frown.gif

I wonder if it get interference from 802.11 WiFi signals or my FemtoCell (Sprint Airave), which are within 2 meters of my listening area. Time to wander outside....

-Ed

Oct 15, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #150 of 254
Went for a walk, using my Panasonic Portable CD Player. No difference. Argh. I was able to get it to not have a lot of noise. Maybe it was a specific channel or a fluke, but I can't duplicate it.

So I guess that rules out interference from my Wifi equipment. Although, I didn't suspect those to be a problem.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back