WIRED review of IEMs
Apr 3, 2006 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

rx7_fan

500+ Head-Fier
press_wired2_Nov-2005.gif

Apr 3, 2006 at 8:37 AM Post #2 of 24
Hilarious. Westone UM2 is lacking in low-end? Muddy mids and porous isolation on an Ety?
blink.gif
tongue.gif

And what's with putting a $100 IEM up against three >$200 models?

Apr 3, 2006 at 8:42 AM Post #3 of 24
And again, they should stated it as "YMMV"

I bet he will rate er4p as low as er6i coz it is absent of base in his case. ...(tho I don't like the signature of er6i, many of those prefer it then um1, e3c...)

biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2006 at 8:59 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Hilarious. Westone UM2 is lacking in low-end? Muddy mids and porous isolation on an Ety?
blink.gif
tongue.gif

And what's with putting a $100 IEM up against three >$200 models?

I can't believe that either. Muddy mids on an Etymotic? Who are they kidding. Then they talk about deep insertion along with porous isolation, I tried the ER-6i once and I can say that they isolate almost as well as the ER-4s, which most people will agree has the most isolation of any of the IEMs perhaps barring some customs.

As for the bass, I can understand how a non-audiophile might expect a lot of bass and downgrade the ER-6i for that reason.

Apr 3, 2006 at 9:23 AM Post #5 of 24
Something wrong with their ears
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 3, 2006 at 9:27 AM Post #6 of 24
Also interesting that they note "luxe, sturdy build" on the Shure e4c. Reading here and talking to Shure owners indicates quite the opposite - they have a pretty bad name when it comes to build quality, although their customer service makes up for it.

Apr 3, 2006 at 9:51 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nakedtoes
Something wrong with their ears
evil_smiley.gif

Maybe so... but I too was surprised at the "muddy mids" comment.

On UM2: "Extra-cushy foam sleeves reach deep into the canals without risk of brain damage."

confused.gif
Is it supposed to be funny?

"Low end has little body or punch"

Quite the opposite.

The reviewer obvsiously likes his bass a lot. Look at his comments! Most of his comments about sound are about bass. What about the midrange and the highs?

Apr 3, 2006 at 1:12 PM Post #8 of 24
The guy simply did not spend enough time getting a good seal. The fact that the SF5pro is so simple to insert and got the highest marks is testament to this.

Every person I've given my ER6is too has said they lack isolation and have no bass whatsoever. I keep telling them to pull their ears up and stick it in deeper, but they refuse to agree with me.

Apr 3, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 24
Clearly didn't have the Etys in right--claustraphobia is best indication of a good fit (well, actually its paranoia). Didn't lick before sticking. Blows his credibility on the whole set.

Apr 3, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhobe
Clearly didn't have the Etys in right--claustraphobia is best indication of a good fit (well, actually its paranoia). Didn't lick before sticking. Blows his credibility on the whole set.

God that's so gross, how can IEM warers even FATHOM doing that? I had enough issues accepting the fact that there was something in my ear, but licking it? that's just rediculous IMO.

gah, this is why I am NEVER making a portable rig =D

Apr 3, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
The most suprising to me is that the UM2 got the lowest mark out of all the IEMs they reviewed.

No kidding... the UM2 easily kill the others. The E4C is the only one I'd say comes close. If anything is muddy it is the UE's...
rolleyes.gif

Apr 3, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
God that's so gross, how can IEM warers even FATHOM doing that? I had enough issues accepting the fact that there was something in my ear, but licking it? that's just rediculous IMO.

wet willy anyone?
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #14 of 24
Wired are usually pretty good/cool, but one area they should evidently stay out of is audiophile sound/equipment. Anyways, Not a huge fan of IEM's personally, I hate earbuds being in my ear, and naturally hate having IEM's stuck in even further. They give excellent sound but I prefer my PX100's anyday.

Apr 3, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86

the licking is my favorite part. diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks...
plainface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back