Wired over ear for my X7 daily commute?
Jul 13, 2017 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

theORBscureDDJ

New Head-Fier
Having had my fragile faith with my Fiio X7 restored by finally managing to upgrade to the latest firmware (3.0.101) and Android 5.1.1, I fancy a headphone change. So I'm now looking for wired over ear recommendations for music on the go/daily commute. My X7 has a medium power AM2 module and my long-term bins of choice have been a trusty pair of 70ohm Sennheiser HD 25 II with a mid-price oxygen free copper custom cable upgrade and velour pads... budget would be around £400, so what suggestions do you good folks have? :)

Jul 13, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #2 of 13
I use the HD1 with my FiiO X3 II and A5 amp, and it's great. HD1 is durable, stylish, and easy to travel with. Along the same lines is the B&W P7 which I've never heard, but seems quite similar to the HD1 with the major difference being design.

Jul 13, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 13
There's a few things lacking here before we can help you:
1) Which sound signatures do you prefer? Bright? Warm?
2) What style of headphone are you looking for? On-ear? Over-Ear? Closed back? Open back? IEM?
3) What's your use-case scenario? Working out? Commuting? Walking the dog?
4) What kind of music do you listen to?

Jul 13, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 13
Thanks chaps... :)

I use the HD1 with my FiiO X3 II and A5 amp, and it's great. HD1 is durable, stylish, and easy to travel with. Along the same lines is the B&W P7 which I've never heard, but seems quite similar to the HD1 with the major difference being design.

Thanks for the suggestion... def one for the list :)

There's a few things lacking here before we can help you:
1) Which sound signatures do you prefer? Bright? Warm?
2) What style of headphone are you looking for? On-ear? Over-Ear? Closed back? Open back? IEM?
3) What's your use-case scenario? Working out? Commuting? Walking the dog?
4) What kind of music do you listen to?

1. Neutral
2. Check out the thread title... but on ear is definitely an option
3. Check out the thread title, commute only
4. Primarily electronic, but it really can be anything from modern prog, MOR/classic rock through to vocal jazz. I download 320kbps mp3, standard flac and 24/96 or 24/192 flac where possible

Since I've had the HD25 II's, I've tinkered with Shure 840, Furutech ADL 118, Sony MDR1A and Sony MDR-7506... but I always end up going back to the trust HD25's...

Jul 13, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 13
You still haven't mentioned if open-back or iems are on the table.
Your title says commute, and you're OP says "on the go/commute" which can mean a variety of things outside of commuting. If strenuous physical activity were included, I'd only recommend headphones with decent clamping pressure.
Unfortunately, there aren't many headphones that work brilliantly with even mobile amps that can "do it all" very well. The ATH-M40x is an option. The Fidelio X2's extend well in both bass and treble, but mids and vocals are slightly recessed, and the cans themselves are a bit heavier than I prefer for mobile use, which might be fine if you're on a train or a bus, not so fine if you're walking a lot. The HE400s does great vocals and decent bass, but it can sound kind of muddy depending on the amp design. Grados would be great if you're not too physically active, and primarily listen to high-energy music, like rock/punk. (the clamping pressure on Grado's, and the swivel design, both make it hard to keep on the headphones during any kind of activity)
If IEMs are on the table, Dunu Titans have decent sound stage and are just on the warm side of neutral, and Hifiman RE600s v2 are just plain warm, but manage to work well with most music types.

Jul 13, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 13
+1 on the HD1 and the P7. Both good options for your purposes. I would add to the list the MEZE 99 Classics, which are smooth and beautiful and portable and very good and could work for you quite well. Maybe read about them and see what you think.

Jul 14, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #7 of 13
You still haven't mentioned if open-back or iems are on the table. Your title says commute, and you're OP says "on the go/commute" which can mean a variety of things outside of commuting. If strenuous physical activity were included, I'd only recommend headphones with decent clamping pressure.

Commute for me is a bus and tram twice a day, one hour in both direction. I prefer closed back and IEM's are not an option. So over ear or on ear would be my preferred options... and thanks for the additional recommendations, I'll list the bins I've already looked at when I get home later. I don't run an external amp, just the X7 and AM2, but I'm open to adding one if the bins need help driving them...

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #8 of 13
I think best options are HD1, P7, or Meze 99 Classic

Jul 14, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #9 of 13
+1 on the HD1 and the P7. Both good options for your purposes. I would add to the list the MEZE 99 Classics, which are smooth and beautiful and portable and very good and could work for you quite well. Maybe read about them and see what you think.

Thanks for the additional suggestions... and added to my list :)

Jul 14, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #11 of 13
You're really not going to want open backed headphones for commuting. They leak sound and annoy people around you, and you will have all the outside noises messing up your music

Jul 14, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #12 of 13
Yep... I forgot that the Hifiman and Philips bins are open back... so it looks like its narrowed down to the HD1 or P7,,, the Meze 99 Classic aren't aesthetically appealing, but it'd be interesting to see what they sound like... the Meze 99 Neo Blacks look the part though...

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #13 of 13
Update time... well, it took longer than I planned, but I've just collected a pair of new B&W P7's and first impression is very nice indeed, so thanks again for the pointers :)

As an aside, any cottage industry cable makers knocking up anything special for the P7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back