wired noise cancelling over ear headphones?
Oct 5, 2023 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

magicalmouse

500+ Head-Fier
Hi i want a pair of wired over ear headphones that are noise cancelling.

I am not interested in bluetooth.

I would like them to sound similar to the hd650 or oppo pm3, SQ is my paramount consideration along with good noise cancellation.

Any suggestions?

Oct 5, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #2 of 7
They're not manufactured any more, but you might be able to find a good pair of PSB M4U 2s kicking around on eBay or somewhere.

You can also use most Bluetooth ANC headphones wired rather than Bluetooth, although often the sound quality will be worse wired compared to Bluetooth.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #3 of 7
I agree, the only option for both is get a wireless pair with ANC like the Bose QC 45 which sounds nice and plug in the 3.5mm jack. It'll run the ANC off the battery. There's no power on a 3.5mm jack for an ANC system to draw on. A pair of noise isolating closed back headphones will give a lot of options.
Otherwise you'd have to shop for a USB powered headphone with it, but I've never heard of one and sell audio equipment. The best isolating is the Cloud Orbit with a removable mic made by Shure and it has 100mm Audeze planar magnetic drivers. The memory foam cups are more effective than many ANC wireless headphones, and without the white noise hiss they all have.

Oct 5, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #5 of 7
I thought wired would be better SQ than bluetooth.

d

Most modern ANC headphones use DSP to correct the frequency response and apply any custom EQs the user chooses (many even have apps to test your hearing and develop a specialized EQ), so when you're feeding the headphone an analog signal either it will be converted to digital, processed through the onboard DSP and then converted back to analog, which can mean incurring quality loss, or it will skip the DSP entirely and may sound very different compared to using Bluetooth (better or worse is subjective and depends on the model, but in my experience it's often worse).

You can buy an older model ANC headphones that doesn't even have Bluetooth, but honestly the quality of the ANC is likely to be much worse.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #7 of 7
The PSM M4U2 has very good SQ, but the ANC was mediocre even when it came out. Today's wireless ANC phones run circles around it.

Agreed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back