wired my ICs wrong...they still alive?
Oct 25, 2001 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Braver

Will upgrade headphoneswhen there's a MX600.
well, sortof finished my CMOY today. it sucked (only left channel, and that one heavily distorted) so I trashed most of it, except the pot and a pair of elec. caps. layout was so bad I didn't see any use in troubleshooting the darn thing.

already figured out a new layout on the same board, no wires except for the in/out and pot.... "why the hell didn't I think of this before??", the layout is soo simple...ah well better luck next time
smily_headphones1.gif

oing through the article again tho, I noticed I wired the IC wrong. switched the 6(output) and the 7(V+).....friggin miracle I got any sound out of the left channel at all!!
confused.gif
must've been a short or a bridge or something.

anyway, are the ICs still alive? anybody know if miswiring hurts em? can I check em in any way? I could just build the new version and see what happens, but if they're dead, I can order some right away.

Oct 25, 2001 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 5
Easiest way to check - build (or get) an amp that you know does work, and put the suspect opamps in there.

(I was pretty suprised to find a toasted OPA134 the other day, I spent about an hour tracing all the tracks before I though of substituting. In general it's a bad idea to swap out chips before knowing the circuit is good anyway, because that leads to more bad chips.)

Oct 25, 2001 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 5
yeah, guess I'll just have to rebuild one, double-check everything (was impossible to check anything with that layout I had) and just see if it works.

it's funny, had to spend about 70 bucks before I could even get started, now gathering parts for a new one I'm only out 10 or osmething (unless I need to get new ICs that is...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back