Wired closed-back cans for under $300 help
Oct 9, 2017 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

imusorka

New Head-Fier
If I were looking for comfort of Sennheiser HD 558 or Philips SHP9500 (this one is open-back) but more compact so that they could be used on the go, what would be my options for under $300? Could on-ear cans be comfortable? If over-ear is the only way to go, are there compact models that provide very good SQ? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Oct 9, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 14
Audio-Technica ATH-M40X, ATH-MSR7, Sennheiser Momentum 2 and Oppo PM-3. The last 2 are more than $300 but sometimes on occasion they drop in price.
Do you have first-hand (first-ear?) experience with these? How is the comfort/heat during long listening sessions? Are the Momentum cans worth the premium

Oct 9, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 14
Unfortunately I've only had experience with the ATH-M40X. It has a neutral sound signature and it's very wonderful and relaxing to use with music and even games, the comfort is quite good but it can be increased with HM5 pads.

The following is what I can gather about other users' experience and reviews with the other 3:-

ATH-MSR7 are not very bassy but they have good mids and they're quite bright but not so bright that they're fatiguing. They are well built and comfy.

Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 has nice balanced bass and the mids and highs are very nice too, almost neutral. They are comfy as well and they are very stylish.

Oppo PM-3 are planar magnetics that are very bassy with neutral mids and highs and they're a bit on the heavy side but they're not uncomfortable. However for long listening sessions heavy headphones MAY become uncomfortable. YMMV.

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #5 of 14
If I were looking for comfort of Sennheiser HD 558 or Philips SHP9500 (this one is open-back) but more compact so that they could be used on the go, what would be my options for under $300? Could on-ear cans be comfortable? If over-ear is the only way to go, are there compact models that provide very good SQ? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Sennheiser HD25-II

Oct 10, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 14
Please elaborate. These are on-ear, which puts comfort in doubt for me. These also have been discontinued and replaced with just HD25s, which appear to be inferior.
How about the Meze 99 Classics, it costs $10 more, but whoever is willing to pay $300 can pay $310 as well, just do not ask me how it's because I've never used it but it's critically acclaimed by the community, maybe personal from the above comments can answer you better about it.

Oct 10, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 14
+1 on Meze 99 Classics for a closed back at your price range. They have small cups but supposedly have bigger ones now and the inside of the cup does sit on your ear but they have such lite clamp it is not uncomfortable at all unless your ears are very sensitive. They can be run by just about anything and pretty darn good and look amazing.

Oct 10, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #10 of 14
Well I have the Meze and it’s been at least 2 years since I’ve heard the Momentum 2’s since I believe that is what they are calling them now so I hate to make that call. The time and other headphones I’ve heard since would not be fair to make that call.

Oct 11, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #12 of 14

Sennheiser HD25-II

Please elaborate. These are on-ear, which puts comfort in doubt for me. These also have been discontinued and replaced with just HD25s, which appear to be inferior.

You were open to on/over-ear, so I suggested the HD25-II. Closest to the sound of the SHP9500, very compact (as you can see in the pics), but relies on clamp force to stay on your head and for isolation. It can be tight but it will loosen over time, faster if you clamp them over several books wider than your head. Just don't let it stretch too much beyond having enough clamp to stay on your head when on the move.

If you want something with better isolation and you won't have to deal with clamp force, look into the Westone UM30, although that's a bit beyond your budget.

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #13 of 14
You were open to on/over-ear, so I suggested the HD25-II. Closest to the sound of the SHP9500, very compact (as you can see in the pics), but relies on clamp force to stay on your head and for isolation. It can be tight but it will loosen over time, faster if you clamp them over several books wider than your head. Just don't let it stretch too much beyond having enough clamp to stay on your head when on the move.

If you want something with better isolation and you won't have to deal with clamp force, look into the Westone UM30, although that's a bit beyond your budget.
You're a very perfectionist, the guy just asked for a headphone of up to 300 dollars and you keep talking about tightness and isolation, same thing was with me, I just asked for help about a sound box and you already came talking in soundproofing, you Do you work at a label or something ?

Oct 11, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #14 of 14
You're a very perfectionist, the guy just asked for a headphone of up to 300 dollars and you keep talking about tightness and isolation, same thing was with me, I just asked for help about a sound box and you already came talking in soundproofing, you Do you work at a label or something ?

I spent a lot of time tweaking the system in my car and in my room before 1) giving up on speakers at home for headphones and 2) just using Uber and sleeping while using IEMs instead of driving through hell that is downtown Metro Manila :gs1000smile: (although I still have a car audio processor lying around).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back