Wired Article: "Placebos Are Getting More Effective"
Sep 2, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #31 of 39
Perhaps they can monitor things such as blood pressure, heart rate, etc to determined which audio components are better for us.

All study I heard recently are iPod earbuds caused hearing damage in children and there are health benefits of listening to music which you get the most out from listening to speakers.

They haven't really done study on what's junk Vs what's good yet.

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again, the placebo effect describes a possible influence. But determining whether that influence has resulted in an erroneous evaluation in a particular case is more difficult.

OK, thanks. Now I understand your meaning.
beerchug.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess what I'm saying is that the placebo effect influences people's judgments some of the time, but not all of the time. For example, assume I know one headphone costs $100 and another costs $200. I listen to both. I prefer the $200 phone. Can we really say that there's no basis for me to prefer the $200 phone, and that I only chose it because it's more expensive? Is the placebo effect the reason why people prefer the Senn IE8 over the Apple earbuds?

On the other hand, I suppose it's certainly possible that someone can prefer brand x cable over brand y cable (or one component over any other component) due solely to the placebo effect.

Again, the placebo effect describes a possible influence. But determining whether that influence has resulted in an erroneous evaluation in a particular case is more difficult.

Placebo certainly isn't everything... but it can explain quite a bit.

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO it's because people have somehow lost faith in science and are putting their time and money into ******** - for example homeopathic medicine.

I think it's the exact opposite...people now have placed ultimate faith in pharmaceuticals, so no matter what is given to people, so long as they THINK it is the latest whiz bang treatment for whatever ails them, they will likely get better.

I think this confirms what the religious have known all along...faith and hope are essential to a healthy and happy existence. It's just that God is not in a white robe anymore, he's in a white coat.

Oct 9, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #37 of 39
Actually if you read up you notice how this increasing placebo effect affects more anti-depressants and that type of drugs, NOT all drugs.

It raises interesting question why?

even not the smartest guy around block knows that subjectively alcohol helps when having emotional issues, but it's not long term solution, it wont fix the problem.

So if we think mental drug's in terms of alcohol oh my they help! until... well
frown.gif

and after putting out several bribed/paid studies out, the factor for study that reveals those as fake diminishes.

whole concept of placebo suddenly going up roof without explanation is ridiculous, when on other hand, greed&money have alternative explanation world-wide forgery of scientific studies/censorship due "incorrect results." known, syndrome where you look 100 studies that give positive results where your's has negative effects simply let's conclude that test is failed and often thrown in garbage.

(These cases are known to happen and it takes years to accumulate and when some studying team with brave enough guy's start asking questions from their peers internationally, they suddently got break-through study at hand that gets immidiate backing up from several other researchers.)

Long story short, big bucks, greed, forgery, lack of will power to come forward due large scale of it internationally leads up to softening the story by explaining it by new factor X, "Our pills won't help as well as they were supposedly help according several studies, so we've concluded that placebo effect is getting stronger!"

placebo effect is the reason for Double Blind medical tests, where patients nor researchers does not know who is on what.... leaving placebo as pretty much varying in standard amount.

so summa summarum, it's the way of scientists to say lot of mental drugs were fraud to markets and they can't actually hold up in real scientific double-blind tests because original results were fake's and whole drug sale was based on fraud to make profit, but it's pretty much impossible to say this out loud if you ever wish to be employeed in this field, due how wide-spread this disease is...

Seriously this is example of softening facts and coming up with so twisted word play that it seems to suggest that placebo is going to cure all the problems in future, theres no need for science any more just placebo every problem you have!

buy fast all calcium&sugar pills their price is going sky-high!

Oct 10, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO it's because people have somehow lost faith in science and are putting their time and money into ******** - for example homeopathic medicine.

Science can't explain everything... Like a person being clinically brain dead.. Then 'coming back' repeating word for word a conversation between DR and nurse.. I know, if science can't explain something away, it's wrong, not real, imaginary etc.. If you believe in plecebo, then you believe the mind is powerful enough to cure our ailments.. Thought is powerful. Like the child who visulized his cancer was astroids and he was blowing them up with lazers. Walking on hot coals with no signs of burns..Eating glass and sticking long needles into parts of your body, while in a trance, no bleeding or pain.. I just trust my ears... I thought vibration feet would improve my audio and didn't. I was actually salivating when I got them. The better sound. Didn't happen. Why didn't the plecebo work on me? I was told vibration FT would improve my SQ and believed it 100%.

Oct 10, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Science can't explain everything... Like a person being clinically brain dead.. Then 'coming back' repeating word for word a conversation between DR and nurse.. I know, if science can't explain something away, it's wrong, not real, imaginary etc.. If you believe in plecebo, then you believe the mind is powerful enough to cure our ailments.. Thought is powerful. Like the child who visulized his cancer was astroids and he was blowing them up with lazers. Walking on hot coals with no signs of burns..Eating glass and sticking long needles into parts of your body, while in a trance, no bleeding or pain.. I just trust my ears... I thought vibration feet would improve my audio and didn't. I was actually salivating when I got them. The better sound. Didn't happen. Why didn't the plecebo work on me? I was told vibration FT would improve my SQ and believed it 100%.

The only way to explain this would be that you suffer from antiplacebo placebo
wink_face.gif

The problem with this rare form of the disorder is that you are left with out excusses or a safety net and must now trust yourself to know what you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back