Wired article: "Audiophiles Become Ipodiophiles"
May 16, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #2 of 15
Quite a good article I must say.

May 16, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 15
Interesting, I misread the title as "Audiophiles Become Idiophiles". I don't know what idiophile would mean though.
rolleyes.gif

May 16, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

"I'm frankly stunned at how long it has taken the audio industry to accept the iPod as something that has reinvented/reinvigorated people's love of music," he said. "You'd think that they'd welcome the iPod as a gateway drug to full-blown audiophilia, but sadly that has not been the case."

Next they will tell me the ibuds are built to specifically synchronize with my ears.

May 16, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 15
The RS-IA is not a headphone amp?
confused.gif

May 16, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
The RS-1A is not a headphone amp?
confused.gif

Quote:

To refer to EMMELINE RS-1A as just another high-end pre-amp quite simply compromises an opportunity to experience the most electrifying unit on the market today.

To them it's the same thing.

May 16, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #8 of 15
Headphone amp, pre-amp, power-amp - it's all the same!

I will now go plug my HD650s into the speaker terminals of my power amp now, BRB!

May 16, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

"You're trading fidelity for capacity"

This is the only part I agree with. The rest is just hype and anti-audiophile snobbery. The Ipod is a fine portable music source, not the second coming of Christ in high-end audio.

What percentage of Ipod users actually love music and care about sound quality, really?

May 16, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Senn20
This is the only part I agree with. The rest is just hype and anti-audiophile snobbery. The Ipod is a fine portable music source, not the second coming of Christ in high-end audio.

What percentage of Ipod users actually love music and care about sound quality, really?

I like music but I'm not a nazi about quality.

I'm a proud owner of a ipod
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #12 of 15
Interesting article. I agree that other DAPs could have been brought up, but I thought overall it was pretty decent.

May 17, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Senn20

what percentage of music listeners actually love music and care about sound quality?

May 17, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
what percentage of music listeners actually love music and care about sound quality?

That I couldn't tell you. I was addressing the claim that the Ipod is some sort of audiophile gateway drug. It's really not. Most people don't use the Ipod (or other daps) to its full potential. For many, it's just a status symbol, or little more than a shiny toy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back