Wire stripper recommendations
Jun 1, 2009 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

kilgoretrout

100+ Head-Fier
I've had bad luck with one of the cheap Radioshack brand wire strippers, which always snips a few strands. I also have Craftsman one (it was sort of a electrical multi-tool) that went dull.

In order to avoid another failure of a wire stripper, I'm looking suggestions which to get next. I'm curious about the automatic variety of wire strippers. Are they convenient to use?

Jun 1, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 33
in a pinch I have used a dull wire cutter to mark the casing then used a lighter and pulled it off fast...occasionally your fingers get toasted as the casing continues to melt and gets stuck, but with practise, no worries...
fire made it good!

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 33
I've already bought all the crap strippers and done the research for you!

Amazon.com: Klein 11057 Klein-Kurve Wire Stripper/Cutter, Blue: Home Improvement

There is a combo deal underneath the main post that shows the strippers that cover all the wire ranges.

These strippers rule! I just stripped some 30 ga with it today, not one strand nicked.

I bought mine on Fleabay and got much better deal than here, but you might have to hunt a bit.

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 33
Jun 1, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 33
Thanks for the suggestion. I couldn't find a better deal on ebay. I'll keep looking though. What's the best price you found for them?

For now, I would rather not pay $40 for both of them from Amazon, and I don't think I could get by with getting only one of them. For stranded wire, one does 20-32 and the other does 12-20, and I would almost certainly need both at some point.

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #8 of 33
I really like the Klein and have several. Accurate and comfortable in the hand.

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The wire stripper on that link looks like the daddy of all wire strippers, but beyond my budget.

Go with Klein then, available at HomeDepot.

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #10 of 33
I have an automatic one. Been using it for a long time and it still works like a charm. I did get the side of my finger stuck in it one time and it hurt like a b****!

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an automatic one. Been using it for a long time and it still works like a charm. I did get the side of my finger stuck in it one time and it hurt like a b****!

Does it work well with smaller wires, say 22 - 28 ga? What is the make and model of the one you use?

Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use my teeth. Works well for me.

I go through dentures like they're nothing with that method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back