Wire cracked on e2c, what do I do?
Oct 21, 2006 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

wnewport

1000+ Head-Fier
I have been jogging with my e2c for the past couple of weeks as my ksc75 is a bit loose for my liking (yes I know how to make them tighter). Tonight at around 10pm I was jogging my 2 mile run and I started to hear very noticable static, then cutting out between channels.

I didn't know if it was my ipod, the recording, or the phones, so once I got home I did some tests. Recording is crappy 192, but still okay, Ipod works fine with k601 and line out works fine too. So then I tried the e2c again, and sure enough static and cutting out.

Then I finally relized that the plastic/rubber around the cord was cracked and wire was clearly exposed. I tried covering with magnetic tape, but it didn't work. The crack is right where the wire bends to conform to the back of your ear. The casing is completely seperated 360 degrees around the wire.

What should I do, I don't have any of the warrenty stuff from shure, and these are over 2 years old (possibly over 3 years old).

I guess I can look on the bright side... I might get to upgrade! and I don't have to replace my ipod!

Rather than that, this sucks.

Oct 21, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #2 of 10
I would contact Shure and see what they say.

Oct 22, 2006 at 9:43 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport
I have been jogging with my e2c for the past couple of weeks as my ksc75 is a bit loose for my liking (yes I know how to make them tighter). Tonight at around 10pm I was jogging my 2 mile run and I started to hear very noticable static, then cutting out between channels.

I didn't know if it was my ipod, the recording, or the phones, so once I got home I did some tests. Recording is crappy 192, but still okay, Ipod works fine with k601 and line out works fine too. So then I tried the e2c again, and sure enough static and cutting out.

Then I finally relized that the plastic/rubber around the cord was cracked and wire was clearly exposed. I tried covering with magnetic tape, but it didn't work. The crack is right where the wire bends to conform to the back of your ear. The casing is completely seperated 360 degrees around the wire.

What should I do, I don't have any of the warrenty stuff from shure, and these are over 2 years old (possibly over 3 years old).

I guess I can look on the bright side... I might get to upgrade! and I don't have to replace my ipod!

Rather than that, this sucks.

Had same problem. Which iPod do you have? Turned out not to be the headphones. I have the e2c and the Super.Fi 5 pro. It was a defective iPod. This is my 3rd iPod video 5th gen 30gig in 9 months.

first ipod: battery wouldnt take a charge, and sound cut in and out with static and discovered this with my Shure e2c

second ipod: 30 gig drive decided it was a 17 gig and restarted after every song

third ipod: seems to be working fine now, although if i dont use it for a few hours, it reboots instead of just turning on -- is that normal?

If it was a problem with your headphone wire behind the ear, it would only be getting static in one channel and not between both. It's more likely your iPod like mine was. When you tried your k601, that was just a brief period of time when your iPod wasn't giving you any crap, like mine did.

Ahhhh and whadya know... I just looked at your equipment list -- you have a 30gig 5th gen ipod like I do... THAT'S YOUR PROBLEM....I've come to the realization that iPod's, as cool as they are, are pieces of crap.
I treat mine like a gold bar, and nothing but trouble. Maybe the problem is that I don't beat it with a stick like most people do.

Oct 22, 2006 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 10
Pretty sure it's not the ipod, he already tried other headphones

Send it back to shure (after e-mailing them first)
Worst comes to worst, you have to pay $50 and they'll give you a new one

IMO you should get a replacement, sell it and get a UM2/ E500
Or even customs.. oh the options
wink.gif

Oct 22, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri
Pretty sure it's not the ipod, he already tried other headphones

Send it back to shure (after e-mailing them first)
Worst comes to worst, you have to pay $50 and they'll give you a new one

IMO you should get a replacement, sell it and get a UM2/ E500
Or even customs.. oh the options
wink.gif

Yes, I mentioned that, if you saw, about trying other headphones. I did too, and they worked fine. Some headphones impedance acts weird with iPods, and sometimes the iPod has spouts where it worked and didn't work.

Try your e2c on another source first, like a CD player or someone elses iPod.
See if you have static then.
If not, it's not your headphones. If you do, send 'em back to Shure,
although I'm not to sure it's even worth fixing a pair of e2c. They rather suck anyway.

Oct 22, 2006 at 10:46 AM Post #6 of 10
Send it back to Shure. They've got very effecient customer service, in the UK at least. I sent my broke e3c on a Saturday (Royal Mail recorded delivery) and got a brand new pair back in completely new packaging on Wednesday although I was within warranty. You should check if they'll fix/replace it for free and if not, then consider the price to get it fixed and decide whether it would be to better to just get a new pair of earphones.

Dec 1, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #7 of 10
Hi,

I had the same problem but the wire was not physically frayed nor was the plastic sheath on the cable cracked/broken. But i did have the same cutting-out /staticy issue on the right side. I emailed the warranty company dealing with Shure in Canada, and they asked me to send it back and informed me that they would send me another pair if the pair is, in fact, defective. Great support by Shure. I sent it in three days ago. Still waiting
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #8 of 10
Maybe it's my imagination, but those ExC wires seem unusually brittle. Shure should use those wonderful braided cables that are such favorites with fans of the Westone UM2. It seems a week doesn't pass before we get at least two reports of failed Shure cables. I think it's a function of the tough, cheap rubber they use in construction.

Dec 1, 2006 at 8:03 AM Post #9 of 10
in the same boat with my e2cs- the outer frayed about 9 months ago on the left and then started cutting out on the right aswell, I threw them in a drawer.

Recently have contacted shure uk (under warranty) and will send them back soon- only miss the isolation- not the sound.

seems lots of people complain about cracks in the sheathing material used on e2cs- it's like a brittle vinyl and if it gets any sort of nick it just peels away. Very bad materials choice IMO, especially from a well known pro mike company.

Feb 4, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 10
whoa, i'm having similar problem with my e2. the cable near the plug is causing the static/cutting out so I tied it together with an elastic band, which helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back